From:
"Terry J. Westley" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry J. Westley
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 22:23:09 -0400
The two Ada-to-Java translation systems that I know of (ObjectAda and
this GNAT announcement) translate Ada to Java bytecodes, to be executed
by a Java runtime or a Java-enabled web browser.  To my knowledge,
Ada is not translated to Java language.

JavaScript has in common with Java the first four letters of its name,
a C-like syntax, and the ability to be run from modern browsers without
a plug-in.  There is no JavaScript runtime, no bytecodes to
translate to.  The code is embedded in the text of an HTML file and is
interpreted by your browser.  JavaScript is to C/Bourne/Korn shell as
Java is to Ada (pretty much).

In view of that, it seems unlikely and probably unnecessary that
there is or ever will be an Ada to JavaScript translator.  Just as it
is unlikely we'll ever see a widely-used Ada shell language.  Although,
I would love to improve one of my favorite scripting languages (Tcl)
with Ada features!

Perhaps some "real" Ada to Java translation experts will confirm or
deny this view.

--
Terry J. Westley
http://www.buffnet.net/~westley/