From:
Wiley Family <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wiley Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 06:06:15 -0800
The discussions include--

From: Doug Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>At 4:15 AM -0500 12/19/98, Jerry van Dijk wrote:
>>> have not seen any data proving that the CMU Capability Maturity Model
>
>also looking for the experimental evidence which correllates CMM
>level with low cost and high quality. Then there will need to be

In one respect I can contribute experimental evidence of this kind.
I have helped implement ISO 9001 for software production in several
business areas at Intergraph.  ISO 9001 can be thought of as a part
of the CMM, particularly with regard to process definition and
repeatability.
While it is my private opinion that every area implementing ISO 9001 has
improved its product quality, I actually have evidence (audited) that a few
particular areas have indeed improved their software product quality as a
direct result of their process improvement efforts.  The important relation
here is "process improvement => product improvement".

The design of the experiment is simple.  Control groups don't do
ISO 9001 process improvement but do the bureaucratic imitation of
writing procedures, with the same internal and external audits as wholly-
participating (non-control) groups.  Participating groups actually do
follow their written procedures, use product quality data aggregated
over multiple projects to direct process improvement, and review their
processes (in addition to internal and external audits).  Measurement of
results is provided by customer feedback (same mechanism for both
control and participating groups).  Product code metrics (complexity,
size, lifecycle state) show comparable states in all groups.

As a result of this demonstration of improved product quality, we are
pushing on towards full use of the ISO 9001 model.  CMM KPAs to
levels 3 and above completion are being added to the best of the
participating groups as they become ready for them.  Benchmarking
and other process improvement methods may be added to (will not
replace) the basic ISO 9001 formal feedback mechanisms as each
group's management capabilities mature.

I'm on vacation, but I just had to contribute to this very interesting
discussion anyway.  I consider that the virtues of the Ada programming
environments available now provide a logical addition to the process
improvement methodology arsenal.  In the battle to gain customer
loyalty and market share, and to increase employee and customer
satisfaction, I'll use any weapon I can get my mitts on.  Even such a
dumbed-down "Quality Management System" as ISO 9001.

(reply-to: [log in to unmask])
--Thanks!
--John Wiley