TEAM-ADA  March 2000

TEAM-ADA March 2000

Balt. SIGAda meeting Tues. 3/14 7pm at JHU/APL

"Kester, Rush W." <[log in to unmask]>

Kester, Rush W.

Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:48:04 -0500

Baltimore SIGAda will hold a meeting on Tuesday, March 14th at
JHU/APL. A deli tray and soft drinks will be served at 7:00 PM.
The program will begin at 7:30 PM.

        Topic: DDC-I's New Safety-Critical, Object-oriented,
                Real-time Embedded System (SCORE) Uses Open Standards
        Speaker: Joyce L. Tokar, Vice President of Technology

Please RSVP to Charlene mailto:[log in to unmask] by noon
Monday the week of the meeting if you plan to come for the deli
tray so that we can quantify our order.  Late RSVPs are also welcome,
and you can always attend even if you have not RSVP'd.

The web site provides directions http://www.jhuapl.edu/sigada/

Important Notice:  Elections for new officers are coming in May.
If you are interested in running for office, would like to
nominate someone, or just help the chapter in some other way,
please contact one of the current officers:
   Rush Kester, J.C. Morrison, Tom Panfil, or Maynard Priestman.
See http://www.jhuapl.edu/sigada/officers.html for contact info.

Title: DDC-I's New SCORE Ada System Uses Open Standards

DDC-I has developed a new compilation system named SCORE
(Safety-Critical, Object-oriented, Real-time Embedded) which
supports both Ada95 and C.  This new product line was built on
several open standards: ANDF 4.0, DWARF 2.0, and OMI Host-Target
Protocol.

The central concept is ANDF 4.0 (Architecture Neutral Distribution
Format) which is a new XOpen standard.  ANDF is a low-level
abstraction of high-level languages, rich enough to model all known
program constructs.  It is completely independent of target
architecture (hence architecture neutral).  A source program is
translated into an ANDF representation by a language-specific
producer.  The ANDF representation is then translated into
assembly or machine code by a target-specific installer.

The second open standard, DWARF 2.0, is used by SCORE compilers to
contain the diagnostic information for the SCORE multi-language
debugger.  Previous DDC-I debuggers relied upon proprietary formats
which required access to the Ada program library.  Using the DWARF
format, all information needed to debug a program is contained within
the object file.  Although DWARF does identify the source language,
its constructs are language-independent.

The final standard is the OMI Host-Target Protocol.  OMI is the Open
Microprocessor Initiative within the European Community.  The
Host-Target Protocol defines the protocol the SCORE multi-language
debugger uses to communicate with the debug monitors on the target
boards.

Speaker Bio:

Joyce L. Tokar, Vice President of Technology for DDC-I world-wide, is
responsible for the definition and development of technology and customer
support.  This includes the continued support of the existing product
lines as well as the definition of new products and technical direction.
Dr. Tokar is also responsible for quality assurance within the group.

Dr. Tokar represents DDC-I on a number of industry panels, sessions and
working groups.  She heads the US delegation to the ISO Working Group
focused on Ada.

Dr. Tokar received a Certificate of Appreciation for Valuable
Contributions to the Ada 95 Project, from the Office of the Secretary of
Defense.  She was received the 1994 Duncan Peddie Memorial Lecturer Award
from the University of Natal.  And she has received an ABI Distinguished
Leadership Award.

   We will have copies of the NOV 1998 Walnut Creek "Ada and
Software Engineering" dual CD-ROM set available for sale to
attendees at out $10 cost.

   If you haven't attended in the past, the  fine maps available
via the web site should make it easy to find us.  Enter the
APL building via Lobby 1 (Main Lobby).  A guard will direct
you to our meeting place in the cafeteria.

   Please forward this message to people who you think
might be interested in attending, to afford them the
opportunity for an enjoyable & educational evening.  Lets all
make an attempt to bring in a few good new members.

   Please consider registering for inclusion on our e-mail list
if you received this as a forwarded message.  Registration
instructions are provided on the web site.

        Rush Kester, President  -- Baltimore SIGAda