TEAM-ADA  March 2000

TEAM-ADA March 2000

Re: Our Lack of Hard Data is a Disgrace.

"Kester, Rush W." <[log in to unmask]>

Kester, Rush W.

Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:45:18 -0500

I am simpathetic with Bob Leif's desire for "hard data" on the relative
utility of programming languages.  However, having worked in the Software
Engineering Lab. (SEL) at NASA Goddard, where we attempted to measure this,
I can assure you that this is not easy.  The SEL has been collecting human
effort data, program size data, error rates, and many other metrics for over
two decades.

Collecting a minimum set of effort, size, and error data is definitely cost
effective, but don't get carried away collecting too much or performing too
much historical analysis.

It is impossible to conduct a "controlled experiment" where all factors
other than programming language are the same.  Thus researchers are faced
with conducting semi-controlled experiments, where factors such as: team
skill & experience, training, motivation, software requirements, tools, etc.
are similar but not equivalent.  Probably the hardest to control is team
motivation and researcher bias.  Two teams may start out similarly
motivated, but over the course of the experiment some spark causes one team
to take-off or some "glitch"  demotivates a team.  Researcher bias makes it
very easy to reach the wrong conclusions due to subjective importances given
to uncontrolled variables.

What you're left with is a situation where only many experiments over time
can be used to arrive at statistically valid results.  By then the topic of
the study is often no longer relevant or of interest.

The other difficulty is that even where this type of data is available it is
often considered proprietary and won't be published.  Even when it's
published, there is often the question of whether conclusions reached in one
environment can be applied in another different environment.

Rush Kester
Software Systems Engineer
AdaSoft at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab.
email:  [log in to unmask]
phone: (240) 228-3030 (live M-F 9:30am-4:30pm, voicemail anytime)
fax:   (240) 228-6779
http://hometown.aol.com/rwkester/myhomepage/index.html