TEAM-ADA  April 2000

TEAM-ADA April 2000

Re: DII COE bars Ada -> Java compilation

Allan Spurr <[log in to unmask]>

Allan Spurr <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Apr 2000 20:42:09 -0400

I too am just giving my opinion.

Several years ago I was tasked with investigating and implementing a project in
the DII COE.  On the surface when you read the documents and specs and related
material DII COE sounds like a panacea for all software developers everywhere.
It is supposed to provide a kernel, which among other things, is supposed to
perform installs in a common way, specs that specify where data, binaries, etc
are supposed to go, and a set of tools for doing all of this.  "Segments"  are
required to pass "Ridged" tests and interface requirements before being released
for other DOD contractors to use.  In my experience many of the required
functions and some of the basic functionality, was missing or non-functional.
When I called the DII COE office to report problems and request a new release
date I was generally told that money was currently not available to fix the
items but that we could send them money, through whatever internal government
transfer procedure, and get it fixed.  When I inquired about segments that were
certified but did not work, I was directed to the original developing company
that submitted it and told I could contract them to make it work the way it was
supposed to.  Our DOD government sponsor was pushing hard release dates on us
but the DII COE was missing release dates by anywhere from 6 to 12 months and
dropping all support for earlier versions.  They laid out the requirements but
didn't back it up.

I don't know if things have changed much in the last two years.  Anyone working
on DII COE required projects anymore?

The long and the short of it is that mandating DII COE is a sure way to see it
die.  It is a someone's idea of perfect software development environment and it
is being crammed down contractors throats.

Thank God I went to the commercial side of the business ;-)

O/BTW  I borrowed the tag line at the end and from time to time I get a student
who sees it and  asks me for more information on what Ada is.  Just doing my
small part for the effort!!

--
"E"commerce is not life and death. If it was, it would be coded in Ada.

Allan R. Spurr      Instructor/Consultant
Lockeed Martin Advanced Concepts Center
INTEGRATED BUSINESS SOLUTIONS
640 Freedom Business Center, King of Prussia, Pa.  19406
Voice Mail:  (610) 992-6206,  Fax:  (215) 396-2264