TEAM-ADA  April 2000

TEAM-ADA April 2000

ADMIN: Spam (was re:TO ADMIN)

Michael Berman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Apr 0100 15:13:50 -0400

There is a certain amount of irony in that this thread is in response to
Mike Feldman's plea to not start it...

As Team Ada list admin, I routinely use Spamcop to report all spam
distributed to the list. This has cut down on the amount of spam that gets
through to the list as well as the spam attempts that get filtered out by
the list server (that you never see).

Mike F's message was attempting to ward off the wave of messages that
generally follow a spam distribution through Team Ada. These messages
(mine included) are the "real" spam - the increase in off-topic message
traffic floods the mailboxes of Team Ada recipients who are accustomed to a
trickle of on-topic, informative messages. This, in turn, causes a flood of
departures from the list, which is of benefit to absolutely no one.

Please let this be the last word on spam to Team Ada. The spam will
continue.  Spammers are pretty smart. Spam to Team Ada is few and far between.
Even with the occasional spam, Team Ada remains, in my opinion, a high
signal-to-noise ratio forum.

Let me also take the opportunity to reestablish some administrative
information:

- subscription/unsubscription/changes to settings should be addressed to
[log in to unmask] If you want a short description of what commands and
options are available, send a message with the word 'help' as the
message
body.

- administrative questions and comments should be sent to
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] These are
standard addresses that work for most mailing lists (replacing 'team-ada'
with the name of the list, of course).

- if, upon posting a message, you receive notification that the message
did not reach some of the list recipients, please forward it to me through
one of the administrative addresses. The list server is supposed to catch these
and forward them to me, but sometimes it misses one or two.

Thanks for your time,
Mike

"W. Wesley Groleau x4923" wrote:

> Since the list robot strips off much of the header information, it's
hard
> to report it to the "accomplices" that knowingly or unknowingly
relayed it
> from its REAL origin.  I suggest List Admin forward the full message
> "SpamCop" (http://spamcop.net).
>
> > We got another spam note on Team-Ada. My sysadmin here at GW
suggests
> > that spam recipients simply forward this spam to [log in to unmask]
That's