TEAM-ADA  May 2000

TEAM-ADA May 2000

Re: Lamenting Ada

Jacob Sparre Andersen <[log in to unmask]>

Jacob Sparre Andersen <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 May 2000 10:24:24 +0200

TEXT/PLAIN

Richard:

In my local pond (Denmark), the use of Ada is practically
zero, but I wouldn't say that we have lost a market here -
I don't think we've ever had it.

I know of two companies (DDC-I and Terma) and a handful of
people (mostly people I have taught) using Ada here.

I don't try to convince "decision makers" to switch to Ada.
I go for those who write programs for fun - preferably as
Open Source.

I have given one introductory talk on Ada in the local Linux
user group (SSLUG), which was reasonably positively
received, and I plan to give another one focused on
distributed programming using GNAT and GLADE, in connection
with another talk on parallelising programs.

My main problem when giving talks is that it is hard to find
the right places to point people to for further information.
Maybe we should join forces to build up a new "Ada Home"
(this time Open Sourced and with several teamers editing, so
we can continue to update it, even if some people leaves the
project)? I don't know if any of the existing Ada web sites
live up to this.

> So we are currently without any kind of open promotion of
> Ada.  No articles are being published.  JOOP has decided
> to no longer have an Ada column, not because my writing is
> so awful but because they see no point in it.

As a physicist, I don't know exactly what the programming
journals want in an article. I just write programs (and give
radio interviews about them ;-), but I find it hard to write
anything interesting about the programs themselves.

Has any of you tried to write a series of articles on
getting started with Ada for a "main stream" magazine like
Linux Journal? If done, it should show off some of Ada'
strengths, and preferably also reject common criticisms of
Ada (slow, no GUI programming, ...).

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."