TEAM-ADA  June 2000

TEAM-ADA June 2000

Re: Should we form an Ada Marketer's Association?

AdaWorks <[log in to unmask]>

AdaWorks <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:55:53 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

OK.  My provocative subject line has stimulated some positive
discussion.  I have even had messages from people not part of
the immediate Ada community suggesting I am a "crybaby" and
ought to be satisfied that Ada has any kind of following at all.
Amazing how these Team-Ada discussions propagate beyond the
sanctum sanctorum of this Listserve.

Meanwhile, we have had some interesting suggestions from
Michael Feldman and Rush Kester, among others.   We have
also had some edifying comments from Tucker in his role of
ARA spokesperson.

I agree with Dr. Feldman that we do not need yet another formal
organization.   Also, just as he submitted his five dollars for some
kind of associate membership in the early incarnation of the ARA,
so did I;  so did a lot of other people.   At some point it was determined
that only those with deep pockets would be allowed to join.   This
effectively stilled the voices of those who might have had worthwhile
contributions to the ARA decision-making process.   Perhaps with
gadflies such as me swooping in from time to time they decided it
was easier to put in a screen door than to wield a fly-swatter.

The only forum we have for those of us who are Ada enthusiasts
with an interest in promoting Ada is Team-Ada.   Michael is correct
in his conclusion that we do not want to form yet another organization.
Nevertheless, we can make a difference from this forum, I believe.

I am not one of those who thinks print ads make that much of a difference.
However, public relations efforts can pay off.    Good PR will be in the
form of literature, events, and notifications that are of interest to the
targeted audience.   This is already being done, to some extent, through
the cooperative efforts between ARA, SigAda, and volunteers noted in
Michael's attached message.

We need more.   We need products written in Ada.  We need some of
the Team-Ada members submitting articles to IEEE Computer and other
IEEE publications.  We need papers published in the ACM publications.
We need stories of problems solved using Ada in Dr. Dobb's.   And we
need to have the ARA or its members placing public relations notices
in major publications.   At present, the PR activity related to Ada is
nil.   The PR for C++, Java is substantial.

I called for a "grass roots" effort since we have no money to make this
happen.   ARA apparently has no money for public relations.    But
whatever we do in the form of PR must be grounded in substance.  If
we do have an article to write, be sure it is solving a real problem that
is of interest to real people, errrrrrrrr, to software developers anyway.

Enough for now.   Sorry to be such a bother on this.   I believe we need
some kind of effort from among our own subscriber list.   I believe we
can make a difference.

Richard

Richard Riehle
AdaWorks Software Engineering