Re: Leveraging MicroSoft's Marketing

Richard Conn <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:51:59 -0400

I think we continue to disagree, Mike.  If we have a language like
Visual Basic that results in its own industry independent of the
originating company, even if the language is proprietary, we have
a standard.  There are literally hundreds of companies making reusable
components that work with Visual Basic.  These components all comply with
the standard of the language.  Likewise, there is a huge market for them.
This industry in reusable components would not exist without the standard
of the language.

A good example of such a non-Microsoft company is VB Extras:
  http://www.vbxtras.com/

Last semester, they started hiring my Visual Basic students about half
way through the semester.

A second element of the way Microsoft does business is its high level of
collaboration.  Visual Basic, for example, did not evolve based on Microsoft
alone.  The Microsoft Developer's Network, consisting of 10's of thousands
of people who pay money to subscribe to monthly releases of software, news,
and event/education information, all feed back to Microsoft problems,
suggestions
for improvement, and so on.  While Microsoft has the final say, they still
listen.

If this is not a standard, then it's what a standard should be.  It's
common,
actively used, and growing/changing to meet the needs of its users.

Rick
Richard Conn, Principal Investigator
Reuse Tapestry