Re: Factors to help Ada Succeed in the Commerical Market?

"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.

Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:14:07 -0700

From: Bob Leif
To: Rush Kester

You wrote, "What would you say are the factors that allow these individuals
with full-time jobs to succeed?  How can we foster these in the
Ada community?"

1) Read my articles on Commercializing Ada.
2) Assist in developing a livable license to compensate Ada developers for
their work. We must use the lesson of providing the sources from the Free
Software culture; however, in order to commercialize our work, we must also
protect our intellectual property.
3) We need an ASIS tool to equitably divide the royalties.

After this we can take advantage of the change in software development
paradigm afforded by Ada and software engineering technology. Ada software
can be created in a distributed environment by independent authors. This
will greatly reduce the up-front capital expenditures.

"I'm curious to know why you feel these database products didn't
succeed."

The FIRM database is controlled by Lockheed Martin. AdaSAGE if from DOE INEL
(INEEL), which at a vital time was managed by Lockheed Martin.

"One good thing to note is that some organizations (within the
gov't or gov't funded) are extremely interested in technology
transfer.  I have had the good fortune of working as a contractor
for two: NASA and JHU/APL.  Both organizations have active
programs that encourage and support indivuals who develop
software using gov't funding and want to enhance it for
commercial purposes."

NASA is a government agency, not a defense contractor. JHU/APL is controlled
by a university.

R. C. Leif, “SIGAda ‘98, Workshop: How do We Expedite the Commercial Use of
Ada?.” Ada letters XIX, No 1 pp. 28-39 (1999).

R. C. Leif, “Ada Developers Cooperative License (Draft) Version 0.3”, Ada
letters XIX, No 1 pp. 97-107 (1999).

Robert C. Leif, “SIGAda 99, Workshop: How do We Expedite the Commercial Use
of Ada?” Ada Letters XX pp19-26 (2000).