DC SIGAda Next Meeting

Jeff Castellow <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:53:06 -0500

Reminder:

To Members and Friends of DC SIGAda

Next Meeting:

Our Next Meeting is scheduled for 8 February 2001 as a Joint Meeting of the
Baltimore and DC SIGAda Chapters. Bill Pritchett, of the from DCS
Corporation will be speaking on Applying Object Oriented Measures to
Software Projects. The presentation will start at 7:30 P.M. (Refreshments
and Social at 7:00 P.M.) at the Lockheed Martin Corporation in Rockville,
Maryland.
Snacks and soft drinks will be served at 7:00 PM, the general meeting will
start at 7:30 PM, followed by the program.

Abstract: Applying Object Oriented Measures to Software Projects

Traditionally, software has been designed using a top-down hierarchy of
functional units. The emphasis of measurement for functionally developed
software has centered around the four common categories of size, coupling,
cohesion, and complexity.

In the last decade, object-oriented development has become the predominant
methodology for developing software. Here software systems are developed as
structured collections of abstract data type implementations. Though certain
aspects of traditional software measures can be applied to object-oriented
software, by and large the measurements lose their original intent and are
therefore no longer applicable. The chief reason being that the properties
and relationships among object-oriented software are fundamentally different
from those of functionally developed software. Object-oriented software
utilizes the principles of localization, encapsulation, information hiding,
inheritance, and abstraction. The fundamental module in object-oriented
systems is the class. These classes may inherit state information and
relevant operations from other classes, enabling designers to extend the
definition of a class to form a new, related class.

This presentation will describe measures that can be used during development
of object-oriented modules to help identify those that may be error-prone or
may require additional testing to achieve quality goals needed by an
organization.

Presenter: Bill Pritchett

Bill Pritchett is the manager of the Embedded Systems Section for DCS
Corporation. At DCS, Mr. Pritchett supports the U.S. Army's Tank-Automotive
Research Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC) in the development of
future ground combat vehicles. He is also the Product Development manager of
AdaSTAT, a static analysis tool for Ada 95. Mr. Pritchett holds a B.S. in
Electrical Engineering from Virginia Tech and an M.S. in Computer Science
from George Washington University. He is currently pursuing his Ph.D. in
Information Technology from George Mason University where he is researching
object-oriented metrics for Ada 95. His email address is:

Venue:
Lockheed Martin Corporation
9211 Corporate Boulevard
Rockville, Maryland 20874

Directions:
>From all points: Get to I-270 West from the I-495 Beltway,

Take I-270 West to Shady Grove Exit;
Turn left at light;
Turn right on Corporate Dr (at light);
Turn right at end of access road (can only turn left or right);
Go to end of driveway.
The building for the meeting is on the right, across the open courtyard
area. It is building #9211, as marked. Parking lots are on the left and
right.

Enter main lobby. Stop at guard desk to check in.
Also, to obtain a map of the location, visit http://www.mapquest.com/,
select Driving Directions for the destination address: "9211 Corporate
Drive, Rockville, Md."

DC SIGAda Home Page and Maillist
Please visit the DC SIGAda Web site at http://www.acm.org/sigada/locals/dc/
Please provide suggestions on the Web site and its contents. We are
particularly interested in ways the DC SIGAda Home Page can serve you
better.

Consider subscribing to our e-mail list. Simply send an email to:

with the body containing:

subscribe SIGAda-DC Your Name

Detailed instructions to subscribe and signoff are provided on the DC SIGAda
Home Page.

Business:
We will have snacks and soft drinks at 7:00. The meeting begins at 7:30 pm.
Please forward this message to people who might be interested in attending.
We welcome all new members as our attendance and interests grow.

Many thanks to all earlier participants, contributors, speakers, advisors,
and friends, who are involved in helping to produce and attend the meetings.

Jeff Castellow, Chair, DC SIGAda