TEAM-ADA  March 2001

TEAM-ADA March 2001

Re: [OT]Satellites for Dummies

Colin Paul Gloster <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Mar 2001 05:26:48 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

I'd hope that you would be able to find team members who would actually
read a prescribed proper text if doing so will avert disaster. (Better
still if they have the initiative to go off and find extra reading
material.)

It would probably be best if they know that there is/are (a) large
technical book(s) set aside somewhere so that anyone in the group may
consult it/them as required.

For a smaller, easier to read cheap book I like "The Communications
Satellite", Mark Williamson, 1990, Adam Hilger imprint of IOP Publishing
Ltd, ISBN 0-85274-192-8. My copy is at home so I can not leaf through it
now to see exactly how much it covers on attitude control etc. but roughly
the first half of the book is about satellite technology in general
whereas only the second part is specific to communications satellites.

All things considered it is pretty small (with a footprint of about that
of an A5 page (210mm x 149mm) and probably about 200 or 300 pages) but
will still take a fair bit of time to read: especially if you want the
workers to be so competent and familiar with the whole field that they
will spot blunders in other divisions' work.

Despite its relatively small size it still has depth: a former workmate of
mine did not believe that the weight difference due to one end being a
few metres closer to the Earth than the other on a uniform satellite could
be significant in addressing attitude stabilisation before I showed him
the piece on gravity gradient stabilisation therein. Mark Williamson
neatly summed it up with "This use of gravity in orbit, incidentally,
explains why the term microgravity should strictly be used in place of
zero gravity for low Earth orbit applications."

I do not know how much it costs but it could hardly be much more than
thirty pounds sterling. I bought it directly off the author at a huge
discount (in the order of 75%) for about four pounds sterling. I would not
be certain that he still does this anymore nor that he would post them off
to another continent but if you chase me up for his contact details you
can try.

Mark Williamson also wrote a dictionary of space technology. Certainly
some sort of a dictionary or encyclopaedia would be handy, unless you want
to rely on textbooks' glossaries and indices.

Good luck,
Colin Paul Gloster