TEAM-ADA  September 2001

TEAM-ADA September 2001

SIGAda Conference Still Planned for 30 September to 4 October in Minnesota

Currie Colket <[log in to unmask]>

Currie Colket <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:53:52 -0400

To: SIGAda Announce
    Team-Ada
    SIGAda EEC
    SIGAda 2001 Conference Committee
    DC SIGAda
    ASISWG/ASISRG

With apologies to those who receive duplicate messages.

Dear Ada Community Friends and Colleagues:

There have been concerns about whether there would be a SIGAda 2001
Conference after the tragic events on Tuesday. These events have touched
many of us. I was just informed that 4 members from one of my project
offices were passengers in the American Airlines flight that was
directed into the Pentagon. There is good reason for prayer for what has
happened. There is also good reason to pray for the unknown future that
will result from this cowardly act of terrorism.

Taking the lead from President Bush, it is important to be strong and
continue on with our lives. We have a technology that can help make the
future world a better place so it is very important for us to continue.
Hence the SIGAda 2001 Conference will carry on, as planned from
September 30 through October 4. Local analysts predict that our air
transportation system will be back to normal within a week, so we should
be highly optimistic that all will be able to arrange transportation to
the conference. I have heard that some of the airlines have removed the
restrictions for cancellation/rescheduling so you may have additional
flexibility in making arrangements.

We are now slightly more than 2 weeks out from the SIGAda 2001
Conference from September 30th through October 4th at the Thunderbird
Hotel in Bloomington, Minnesota.  We have an excellent program which
represents excellent opportunities for folks to enhance their
professional goals. Ada has achieved a very important niche in that it
is making a strong presence for those systems that have serious
reliability and real-time performance requirements.

Please take a look at the program on the SIGAda 2001 Home Page. There
will be some changes posted there shortly.

As most of you know, we are planning to have a Panel discussion on
Thursday titled: The making of ISO/IEC:8652: Ada 2005, chaired by Erhard
Ploedereder, the President of Ada Europe and Past Chair of WG9.
Panelists will include Joyce Tokar, Randy Brukardt, Pascal Leroy, and S.
Tucker Taft. This should be a valuable panel for all and give us all a
better idea what the future holds for us.

I am also pleased to announce that there will be a second important
panel, also on Thursday morning addressing Ada experiences. The Ada
Experiences Panel will be chaired by John McCormick from the University
of Northern Iowa. The participants will be:

  Robert Lockwood, Alliant Techsystems
  Bill Rusinak, Lockheed-Martin
  David Glessner, Rockwell-Collins
  Kerry Hodges, Honeywell

This panel will give you the opportunity to learn from the industry
drivers about using Ada to meet rigorous reliability and performance
requirements. Please note that there are pending changes in the times
for these panels. Please look at the updated information at the
Conference Home Page for updates which will be made in the very near
future.

What I hope you can do is to contact your friends and let them know
about the conference. Many of your friends have already received a
conference Advance Program and simply need a little nudge to actually
sign up for the conference. You need to emphasize the value of attending
the conference for not only the keynoters, speakers, tutorials, and
workshops, but also the opportunity to network and interface with Ada
and software engineering professionals. We do have a powerful lineup,
which should be of benefit to a large number of those developing
software. The SIGAda Conference actually brings together people
addressing real issues for developing real-time distributed software
that has significant reliability and high-integrity requirements. This
is one of the very few conferences where you can find this expertise.

This is a great time to contact all your friends and let them know about
the conference. Tell them about the Advance Program (AP) they can get
at:

 http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2001/SA2001AP.html

Also tell them about the about the conference web site at:

 http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2001/

which contains abstracts for all the papers and all the information one
needs to plan to come to the conference.

We need to be upbeat about the conference. We really do have an
excellent program which represents excellent opportunities for folks to
enhance their professional goals. We need to emphasize this.

This is a good time to send emails to folks in an organization. It is
still early enough to get folks to come to the conference, specially if
they have already seen advertisements and need that little nudge to
sign up. Your interface with them could be the one that entices them to
make that commitment. Please try to do it this week.

Thank you in advance for all your help! We look forward to seeing you at
the conference.

v/r
Currie Colket
ACM SIGAda Chair

SIGAda 2001 Electronic Announcement:

                         ACM SIGAda 2001
                  Annual International Conference
                  on the Ada Programming Language

             Thunderbird Hotel, Bloomington, Minnesota
               September 30 through October 4, 2001

           http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2001

             Tutorials September 30 and October 1
                   Conference October 2-4
           Exhibits October 2-3,  Workshops Throughout

      *** Early Registration deadline is September 4th! ***

Learn from the world's top Ada technologists why Ada is the language
of choice worldwide for the most important safety-critical and
high-reliability systems.

SIGAda 2001 is your only opportunity in the U.S. this year to learn
the latest developments about Ada and related technologies, from the
world's leading Ada practitioners, researchers, and educators.  One of
the highlights of the conference will be a focus on what is in store
for the next version of the language standard - find out late-breaking
news on the features that are being considered, and how they will
affect your use of the language.  Other topics on the refereed
conference program include experience reports from Ada developers and
educators, new findings from the research community, and an analysis
of Ada and Java for real-time programming.  Supplementing the program
will be a selection of exciting tutorials on Ada-related subjects, an
exhibit area where you can find the latest products from vendors, and
several workshops on technologies relevant to Ada.  Continuing an
initiative of SIGAda's Education Working Group, the conference is
making a special outreach effort to involve students and educators.

Since its inception, Ada has been successful in systems where
reliability is essential.  Its application domains include
aeronautics, air traffic control, aerospace, simulation, shipping,
railway systems, communications, and many others.  It is used in
environments ranging from bareboard embedded devices to large-scale
distributed real-time systems, and in multi-language software
interfacing with C, C++, Fortran, and Java.  Ada is used both in the
U.S. and abroad, for both government and commercial systems, and is
taught at colleges and universities where software engineering is an
important focus.  Whether you are from industry, government, or
academia, if you are interested in correct or reliable software, you
need to know where Ada is today and where it is going,

Tutorials cover a broad range of topics of interest to all software
engineering practitioners, including
* Object-Oriented Programming and Ada
* High Integrity Programming
* Real-Time Programming
* CORBA: Including CORBA for Embedded Systems
* Java: Using Java and Ada in complementary ways.
* Why students learn software concepts easily with Ada
* Software Understanding: HOw Ada makes it easy
* Concurrency: Java, Ada, and Posix comparison
* Exceptions: styles for high reliability

Workshops include:
* Creating a Symbiotic Relationship between XML and Ada
* Practitioner's views of Concurrency in Java, Ada, and C++
* Ada Semantic Interface Specification (ASIS)

Whether you are from industry, government, or academia, if you are
interested in where Ada is today and where it is going, this is a
conference that you need to attend. The May 2001 Issue of the COTS
Journal featured an article titled "Ada Finds New Life in Commercial
Application and Legacy Upgrades". This conference will help you
discover why this is so!"

For the full technical program, tutorial & workshop descriptions, as
well as conference and hotel registration information, please visit
the conference website at:

    http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2001

A synopsis of the Advance Program is located at:

   http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2001/SA2001AP.html

Sponsored by ACM's special interest group on the Ada Programming
Language (SIGAda), in cooperation with Ada-Europe and ACM SIGAPP,
SIGCAS, SIGCSE, SIGPLAN, SIGSOFT, and Twin Cities ACM SIGAda.

Hosted by Twin Cities SIGAda, chaired by
Paul Stachour (Stachour Software), [log in to unmask]