Re: Ada and simulation

Rush Kester <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:35:30 -0400

> ----- Forwarded message from [Dariusz Pierzcha_a] -----
>
> >From [log in to unmask]  Thu Apr 11 02:06:02 2002
> From: [Dariusz Pierzcha_a] <[log in to unmask]>
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Ada and simulation
> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:05:58 +0200
>
> Hello!
>
> My Name is Dariusz Pierzchala. I am working at Military University of
> Technology, Warsaw, Poland. Currently I'm looking for a language and an
> environment in order to develop object discrete-event simulator. Our project
> deals with interactive distributed simulation compliant with IEEE 1516 and
> DMSO standard called High Level Architecture. I have downloaded and tried
> Aonix ObjectAda for Windows and Rationale Apex. Could I ask you for an advice or
> answer for my questions (problems):
>
> 1) Is it possible to obtain commercial or pay-free library supporting
> distributed discrete-event simulation?

I recall there were some discrete event simulation (DES) tools in the
"Public Ada Library" (which is no longer maintained, but lives on as
the "Ada and Software Engineering CD-ROM).  I couldn't find an on-line
copy and my copy from the last SIGAda conference is a home.

One helpful rescource on line is
http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~pohlmann/pohlmann.html
which states "Main subject of current work:
  "Distributed discrete event simulation"

There is also an Ada text that uses DES as a case-study.
"Ada for Software Engineers" by Ben-Ari
http://www.wiley.com/cda/product/0,,0471979120,00.html
The following is an abstract from http://www.adapower.com/books/
"Ada for Software Engineers" teaches the language as it is used in
practice through relatively large case-studies such as a discrete event
simulation. Advanced students and experienced programmers will find this
style far preferable to a sequential explanation of the language rules.
The presentation emphasizes the sophisticated features for
object-oriented and systems programming that were introduced in new Ada
95 standard. An important feature of the book is a graduated
introduction to the terminology and style of the language reference
manual.

> 2) Where can I find more information about Ada and simulation?

Ada is a excellent language for building simulations, especially those
that
would benefit from incorporating embedded code as part of the
simulation.
I just completed an image based simulation where we used most of the
flight
code (targetted for a special DSP chipset) on a Wintel desktop.  Ada's
separate
interface specifications and implementation code allow one to easily
change from
the flight implementation to a simulated implementation without changing
the other
parts of the code.

We were also looking into making the simulation compliant with DMSO's
HLA standard.  Since HLA simulations can be implemented using the Common
Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA), they can easily be run on
different platforms without worry about differences in native
representations of integer or real numbers.  Since we wanted our
distributed simulation to run in near real-time, we decided to use
ORBExpress, see http://www.ois.com/products/prod-1.asp for more
information.

> It is very important to me,
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Dariusz Pierzchala
>
> ----- End of forwarded message from [Dariusz Pierzcha_a] -----

Rush Kester
charter member Team-Ada
Software System Engineer
AdaSoft "Your first choice in Software Engineering Solutions"
Laurel, MD USA