Edsger Dijkstra (fwd)

Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:08:33 -0400

Hi all,

Thought you might be interested in reading this. As is hinted
below, Dijkstra is probably best known for a famous 1968 letter
to Communications of the ACM, about the "goto" statement in
programming. The letter was titled "GOTO Statement Considered
Harmful", and this title gave rise to all sorts of imitations
and parodies. Dijkstra never wrote that line - it was assigned
by the journal editor.

Dijkstra's most pertinent contributions to the Ada world were
in concurrent programming. He originated the "guarded command"
and nondeterministic selection, first published in CACM in 1975.
Its first (and nearly *only*) industrial-strength implementation
was in the Ada guarded select statement in tasking. Dijkstra
was no fan of Ada, but we tasking fans owe him a lot.

Dijkstra also originated the Dining Philosophers, again in CACM,
in 1971. I've heard him speak several times over the years. I can
attest that he had the same caustic wit in both English and Dutch.

RIP

Mike Feldman