TEAM-ADA  April 2003

TEAM-ADA April 2003

Team-Ada: SIGAda DC Meeting on Thursday, 8 May on OCR of Cryptographic Source Code

Currie Colket <[log in to unmask]>

Currie Colket <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:52:32 -0400

Attention:

    To Members and Friends of DC SIGAda
    (This presentation will be in the Baltimore/DC area - If you are unable
    to attend, please let your colleagues in the area know about this
    opportunity)

Next Meeting:

    Thursday, 8 May 2003, 7:30 P.M. (Refreshments and Social at 7:00
    P.M.) at the new MITRE2 Building in McLean, Virginia. DC SIGAda
    and Baltimore SIGAda will feature the following presentation:

Title:

    Optical Character Recognition (OCR) of Cryptographic Source Code

Abstract:

    This paper describes a case study evaluating the efficacy of utilizing the
    published, printed copy of cryptographic source codes (Pretty Good
    Privacy) to reproduce the electronic equivalent source code using
    Optical Character Recognition (OCR) solutions. Accuracy
    measurements of the resulting OCR outputs at various scanning
    resolutions and estimates of the additional effort required to correct the
    output are provided for approximately 100 pages of training material.
    Correlation of these estimates against one of six volumes of the source
    code is provided.

    You're probably wondering where Ada comes in, I suppose - the whole
    thing is written in Ada...

    The presentation will include the design decisions made throughout the
    development. The rationale for these design decisions could be
    applicable and valuable to other software developments.

Presenter: Karl Nyberg

    Karl Nyberg is President of Grebyn Corporation and has been active in
    the Ada industry since the early 1980s. He was employed at Verdix
    Corporation (where he did network computer security in addition to
    work on the Ada side of the company), and has been consulting in Ada
    since 1985. Some of his more notable projects have been in the area of
    formal verification, expert systems and both operating systems and
    applications interfaces. He was a member of the Ada 9X Requirements
    Team at IDA, of the Federal Advisory Board on Ada, provided a special
    report to the SEI on Ada 9X topics and consulted for numerous Ada
    procurements and programs (SDI, MCTSSA, WIS Workstation, RCAS,
    and IADS). He is also widely recognized for his Ada publications,
    particularly the Annotated Ada (83) Reference Manual, which integrated
    the text of the ISO Ada Rapporteur Group's AIs into the text of the Ada
    83 standard. He received his Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
    and Engineering and his Master's degree in Electrical Engineering and
    Computer Science, both from the Massachusetts Institute of
    Technology.

        Karl Nyberg
        Grebyn Corporation
        P. O. Box 47
        Sterling, VA 20167-0047
        +1-703-406-4161
        Email: [log in to unmask]
        Home Page: http://karl.nyberg.net

Venue/Directions

    MITRE2
    Room 1N100 A/B
    The MITRE Corporation
    7515 Colshire Drive
    McLean, Virginia 22102-7508

Directions:

    MITRE2 is on Colshire Drive just inside the beltway south of Route
    123. Colshire Road is known as "Scotts Xing" on the North side of
    Route 123.

    Colshire Road is located on Route 123, East of I-495 and West of the
    Dulles Access Highway.

     o  Going Northbound on 123 from I-495, Colshire Road is located 2
        stoplights on the right.
     o  Going Southbound on 123 from the Dulles Access Highway,
        Colshire Road is located at the first stoplight on the left.

    Once on Colshire Road, MITRE2 is the building immediately in front of
    you. A tiny traffic circle is designed to take you to the front of MITRE2
    and to MITRE1 (the Hayes Building). The directions below route you
    to the parking garage behind the MITRE2 Building. This is a logical
    left-hand turn at the traffic circle. After the turn, MITRE2 will be on
    your right.

    From I-495 south of Route 123 (Dolley Madison Boulevard):
        1. Take Exit 46B (McLean, Route 123);
        2. Go North onto Route 123;
        3. Turn right onto Colshire Drive (at second light);
        4. Take third right off of the small traffic circle;
           (a logical left hand turn);
        5. Proceed ~ 50 meters; Turn right into parking garage.
        6. Visitor Parking is located on Levels 2 and 3
           (the walkway to the lobby is on Parking Level 2)
        7. If door is locked, contact Security using phone by door
           (at entrance to MITRE2 from the Parking Garage)
        8. Check in with Security at Security desk in lobby
           (You will need a photo ID)

    From Dulles Access Toll Road or I-495 north of the Dulles Access
    Toll Road:
        1. Take the Dulles Airport Access and Toll Road to Exit 19;
           (From I-495, this is labeled "To East I-66");
        2. Take Exit 19A;
           (following signs to Route 123 South, Tysons Corner);
        3. Bear right onto Route 123 (towards Tysons Corner)
        4. Turn left onto Colshire Drive (at first light);
        5. Take third right off of the small traffic circle;
           (a logical left hand turn);
        6. Proceed ~ 50 meters; Turn right into parking garage.
        7. Visitor Parking is located on Levels 2 and 3
           (the walkway to the lobby is on Parking Level 2)
        8. If door is locked, contact Security using phone by door
           (at entrance to MITRE2 from the Parking Garage)
        9. Check in with Security at Security desk in lobby
           (You will need a photo ID)

    To obtain a map of MITRE2 Building and the MITRE Campus, visit =>
    http://www.acm.org/sigada/locals/dc/Directions_MITRE2.html.

Slides From John Warther's and Gordon Uchenick's
Presentation Available

    At the Baltimore SIGAda meeting on 8 April 2003, John Warther and
    Gordon Uchenick gave an excellent presentation titled: High Reliability,
    Safety, and Secure Solutions for Embedded Developers. Slides from his
    presentation are available online as a Powerpoint Presentation at
    http://www.acm.org/sigada/locals/dc/200304_Gordon_Uchenick.ppt
    (ppt, 2.097 MB). The much requested jpg image of the X-38 Space
    Station Lifeboat With caption "When Ctrl-Alt-Delete is Not an Option"
    is available at: http://www.acm.org/sigada/locals/dc/X38.jpg JPG File
    (jpg, 159 KB).

Please put on your calendar:

  o 9 September 2003 - The next meeting of the ACM Baltimore SIGAda
    Chapter Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, 9 September. We take a
    vacation during the summer. If you would like to speak, or would like to
    hear a presentation on a special topic, please let us know.

  o 7-11 December 2003 - SIGAda 2003 will be held in San Diego,
    California. Details at http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2003

DC SIGAda Home Page and Maillist

    Please visit the DC SIGAda Web site at
    http://www.acm.org/sigada/locals/dc/ for additional information.

    Please provide suggestions on the Web site and its contents. We are
    particularly interested in ways the DC SIGAda Home Page can serve
    you better.

    Consider subscribing to our e-mail list. Simply send an email to:

    with the body containing:

        subscribe SIGAda-DC Your Name

    To be removed from the list, send an email request to:

    with the body containing:

        signoff SIGAda-DC

Business:

    We will have light foods and refreshment at 7:00. The meeting begins at
    7:30 pm.

    Many thanks to all earlier participants, contributors, speakers, advisors,
    and friends, who are involved in helping to produce and attend the
    meetings.

    Please forward this message to people who might be interested in
    attending. We welcome all new members as our attendance and interests
    grow.

    Consider registering for inclusion on our e-mail list. Registration
    instructions are provided on the DC SIGAda Web site.

Jeff Castellow, Chair, DC SIGAda