TEAM-ADA  April 1997

TEAM-ADA April 1997

Highlights of ASISWG/ASISRG Meeting For Team-Ada

Currie Colket <[log in to unmask]>

Currie Colket <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:59:42 -0500

Dear Team-Ada,

There has been much exciting activity regarding ASIS
recently. Please find enclosed the highlights from the ASIS
Balloting process and the actions at the ASISWG/ASISRG
meeting held in Phoenix, Arizona from 25-26 March 1997.

1.  ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 WG9 balloting for the ASIS
specification was conducted from 1 January 1997 to 11 March
1997. The Ballot results are: Germany, Japan, Russia,
Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States have
provided Affirmative Ballots; Sweden Abstained; there were
no Negative Ballots. The balloting process generated 88
editorial comments and 46 technical comments. These must be
addressed in an official Disposition of Comments document to
be delivered to WG9 by 1 May 1997. Should WG9 concur with
the disposition of comments, then WG9 will forward the
revised ASIS specification to SC22 for Registration as an
ISO Committee Draft (CD).

2.  The editorial and technical comments were addressed at
the ASISWG/ASISRG meeting in Phoenix. The comments in
general were excellent and represented a thorough review by
the Nations. The Ada Joint Program Office (AJPO) conducted
two technical reviews and provided comments via the National
Ballot of the United States. The ASIS Meeting was highly
productive as all comments were addressed with resolutions
we believe will be satisfactory to WG9. Of the 88 editorial
comments, 85 were accepted; of the 46 technical comments, 38
were accepted. The general approach for resolving each
accepted comment was agreed. Several comments resulted in
action items. Technical and editorial comments are available
on the ASIS Home Page. A draft disposition for each comment
will be available soon, with the completed Disposition of
Comments and updated ASIS specification available by 1 May 1997.
The ASIS Home Page is =>

        http://www.acm.org/sigada/WG/asiswg

3.  One of the inputs to the ASIS Balloting process was: "we
do not have any companies directly involved in tool
construction". This response was an extremely valuable
wakeup call to us, as we have not been effective in getting
the word out on why ASIS is valuable to the application
developer. ASIS is of special value to the application
developer as ASIS allows the developer to rapidly build
tools for special analysis of Ada code for a variety of
purposes. It allows one to Roll-Your-Own analysis tools.
ASIS is a very powerful capability fulfilling many needs of
the Ada development community. It was noted that Boeing and
MITRE, application developers present at the meeting, have
been significant ASIS users. We agreed to highlight the
"Roll-Your-Own" tool capability at STC, WAdaS, Ada-Europe,
and TriAda.

4.  The ASIS specification is now in the hands of ISO. This
means we are no longer able to make updates or changes. All
future changes must be the result of National comments
generated through the balloting process at SC22 or JTC1. We
did agree to keep track of desired changes. Those changes
viewed as necessary would require us to convince a National
Representative to include them as part of their balloting
process. This is the only way we can effect future changes
to the ASIS specification. Thus, the ASIS specification is
now hard to change; any changes must be thoroughly
coordinated and documented.

5.  ASIS providers present viewed the new stability of ASIS
to be a good thing. Each provider could implement the
Committee Draft ASIS interface to the now stable baseline
instead of the moving baseline. All ASIS providers were
encouraged to update their implementations to the soon to be
available ASIS 2.0.M (the ASIS CD Version) for
demonstrations and presentations at Tri-Ada'97
in November 1997. We hope to be able to demonstrate then
that tools developed for one Ada environment will easily port
to all other Ada environments supported by ASIS.

6.  We would like to thank DDC-I for hosting a very
productive and important meeting in the life of ASIS. We
thank the National reviewers who provided excellent
comments which will result in a significantly improved
ASIS specification for the Ada community. We would also
like to thank those who helped resolve the comments both
by email and at the ASISWG/ASISRG meeting. These reviewers
and resolvers included: John Barnes, Steve Blake, Dan Cooper,
John Dawes, Robert Dewar, Dan Ehrenfried, Magnus Ericson,
Herm Fischer, Peter Hermann, Rick Hudson, Kiyoshi Ishihata,
Jesper Joergensen, Bjorn Kallberg, Alain Le Guennec, Ole
Oest, Michael Pickett, Erhard Ploedereder, Ron Price, Clyde
Roby, Sergey Rybin, Steen Silberg, Doug Smith, Alfred
Strohmeier, Joyce Tokar, Bill Thomas, and Kevin Tucker.

v/r
Currie Colket
Chair ASISWG/Chair ASISRG
+1 (703) 602-1483