TEAM-ADA  June 1997

TEAM-ADA June 1997

Official Interpretation Of Mr.Paige's Apr.29 Memo

Hal Hart <[log in to unmask]>

Hal Hart <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:31:25 -0700

 The official DoD answer to my query about whether Assistant Secretary
of Defense (C3I) Emmett Paige's April 29 MEMORANDUM has the effect of
changing programming language policy immediately is "YES."  [See next
msg below.]  Effective immediately, Ada waivers are no longer
required.  The AF has already issued its own implementation order for
this memo, and the other services may have also.

The 2nd enclosure below contains ASCII of Mr. Paige's April 29 memo in
case you have not seen it.

Finally, I remind everyone that Mr. Paige has repeatedly stated that
this Memorandum is not to be interpreted as the DoD "giving up" on Ada
or as a license to abandon Ada frivilously.  (After all, he accepted
the recommendation to increase the DoD's infrastructure support for
Ada back up to $15M/hr).  He states his personal belief that Ada will
henceforth fare better without the mandate.  (See 3rd enclosure
below.)  Conscientious implementation of the statement in the Memo
that "programming language selections should be made in the context of
the system and software engineering factors that influence overall
life-cycle costs, risks, and potential for interoperability" with the
7 factors bulleted there will favor Ada where it should be used.
(This is effectively what last Fall's NRC report called the integrated
"Software Engineering Plan Review" milestone.)

                -- Hal

------- Forwarded Message 1