TEAM-ADA  July 1997

TEAM-ADA July 1997

**URGENT: OBJECT WORLD-SF Volunteers Needed to Staff the SIGAda Booth

Hal Hart - SIGAda Booth Manager <[log in to unmask]>

Hal Hart - SIGAda Booth Manager <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:23:23 -0700

 Between his recent move to San Diego and work responsibilities, Ed
Colbert asked me to take over from him (after 3.5 years of great work
getting this going and growing into a respectable, impactful presence
for Ada!) the adminstrative management of SIGAda's "Ada Awareness
Initiative," which mostly means the logistics of the promotional booth
SIGAda takes to 6-8 exhibits/conferences annually.

Unfortunately, in this transition we have failed to follow through on
finding volunteers who will staff the SIGAda booth JULY 21-24, in a
week and a half, at OBJECT WORLD-WEST in San Francisco.  So, this is
an immediate, urgent PLEADING call for volunteers!  At this point, I
will almost surely take the first volunteer available to work the full
4 days (Monday-Thursday, July 21-24) as our booth manager, whether or
not they are local; we can pay all travel expenses for the full-time
booth manager.  Almost equally good would be cost sharing with someone
already planning or considering attending who can commit to be in the
booth at least half time.  (Even now is not too late to get some kind
of economy air fare, though -- hint, hint hint...  :-)

OBJECT WORLD is a very large, important show, and an important venue
for us to wave the flag for Ada, and probably also valuable for your
organization to have employees attend.

(Also, we also need the booth manager or some other part-time
volunteer to give a brief informal vendor presentation about the
merits of Ada, maybe also about the state of Ada products and
suppliers -- which could be done simply by handing out the very nice
Ada Resources Catalog which we have supplies of in the booth.
Willingness to give this presentation is not mandatory to be our booth
main manager/staff.)

Below I include the current version of our list of upcoming shows,
followed by Ed's usual "motivational" pitch about booth volunteer
instructions.

Hope to hear from someone about OW-WF in 11 days (or to volunteer to
work at a future show).  Thanks,                -- Hal

PS: See also that our next show (AUG.25-28) is supposed to be at the
annual SEI SYMPOSIUM in PITTSBURGH.  We also need staff for this
(again, perhaps someone already planning to attend, perhaps on their
organization's dime).  In fact, we may skip this show if I do not get
a volunteer before July 24 (the date I have to decide where to ship
the booth next).  While previously we avoided DoD-community shows
(which the SEI Sympoisum only partially is) since the SIGAda strategy
was to sell Ada in new domains (complementing the Govt's selling of
Ada within the DoD etc.), with the removal of the Ada mandate, SIGAda
may need to try carrying the Ada flag more where Ada used to be
mandated too.  Hence, showing at the SEI Symposium and adding other
shows more closely tied to the DoD/Gov't software communities may be
more important to us than ever before.  Reactions?

====snip====snip====snip====snip====snip====snip====snip====snip====snip====

     SCHEDULE OF UPCOMING SHOWS FOR SIGAda BOOTH TO EXHIBIT AT

Conference         Location    Exhibit Dates  Set Up   Tear Down
----------         --------    -------------  ------   ----------

Object World West   San Francisco  7/22-24     7/21     7/24
                    (SF Convention Center)

SEI Sympoisum       Pittsburgh     8/26-28     8/25     8/28

OOPSLA              Atlanta        10/6-8      10/5     10/8

Tri-Ada'97          St. Louis      11/9-13     (no staff needed)

Medical Conference  San Diego       1/98-TBD

We like to have 2 people per exhibit day, so they can spell each other
& have a chance to walk around.  We also need 1 person who can be at
the Conference the whole time (although not necessarily in the booth
the whole time) to be the on-site manager.  We also need 1-2 people to
set up the booth (usually the people who staff the booth on the last
day pack up the booth).

The duties are light and something that you should find easy to do,
i.e.  promote Ada.  We sell Ada CD-ROMs, handout Ada success stories,
and talk to people.  We will be giving Vendor presentations at Object
World & need a speaker.

Reasonable travel expenses may be available to anyone who is willing
to help for a whole show (not necessarily in the booth for the whole
show) and be the on-site booth manager.  To stretch our limited
budget, people who are relatively local to a conference will be
selected over someone who has to travel cross continent or overseas;
but you never know.

Please come help promote Ada!

Hal Hart
Ada Awareness Manager