TEAM-ADA  September 1997

TEAM-ADA September 1997

News for Team Ada => ASIS Resolution at SC22 Meeting

Currie Colket <[log in to unmask]>

Currie Colket <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Sep 1997 13:34:37 -0400

Dear Team Ada,

We are pleased to announce the attached status on the ISO
standardization progress of ASIS.

v/r
Currie Colket
Chair ASISWG/Chair ASISRG

Dear ASISWG/ASISRG,

ASIS has another milestone!!!!

At the SC22 meeting last week in Ottawa, Canada, Mr. Jim
Moore, Convener of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 WG9, made the official
request of SC22 to concurrently conduct the CD registration
Ballot for ASIS and the Final CD Ballot for ASIS. This was
approved unanimously by SC22!

>Resolution 97-21:  Concurrent Letter Ballots for Ada ASIS
>
> ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 authorizes the Secretariat to conduct
> concurrent CD registration and Final CD letter ballots
> for project JTC 1.22.15291 - Ada Semantic Interface
> Specification (ASIS).

Concurrent balloting achieves faster standardization, but is
sometimes viewed as risky. At the WG9 meeting on 2 June 1997,
WG9 unanimously approved the following 3 Resolutions by the
nations present: Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Sweden,
Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States:

     RESOLUTION: The disposition of comments on the ASIS
     Working Draft ballot is approved by WG9 and the Project
     Editor of project 15291 is authorized to forward
     Version 2.0.N of the draft to the SC22 secretariat for
     CD registration. [Passed: 8 Affirmative; 0 Abstain;
     0 Negative].

     RESOLUTION: WG9 authorizes Convener, in his judgment,
     to combine CD registration and CD ballot. [Passed: 8
     Affirmative; 0 Abstain; 0 Negative].

     RESOLUTION: WG9 authorizes Convener, in his judgment,
     to combine CD registration and CD ballot and Final CD
     ballot. [Passed: 7 Affirmative; 0 Abstain; 1 Negative].

To assess risk for the combined CD registration, CD Ballot, and
Final CD Ballot, we submitted the ASIS Working Draft to ISO in
July to identify possible formatting problems that might prevent
a successful Final CD Ballot. A number of such formatting problems
were identified and corrected by Mr. Clyde Roby. Mr. Jim Moore then
made available to SC22 representatives this corrected ASIS Working
Draft as an advance copy. This resulted in only positive comments.
We concluded that a combined CD registration, CD ballot and Final
CD ballot would be of low risk. Mr. Moore reported the following
in his Report of the SC22 Plenary:

> In behalf of WG9, I requested that the CD registration ballot
> and the Final CD Balloting for project JTC1.22.15291 (ASIS)
> be conducted concurrently. This request was approved. We can
> anticipate that this ballot will commence in September if we
> promptly provide the draft for balloting.

If all goes well, ASIS could be an ISO standard as early as summer of 1998.

Attached is the Convener's Report for the SC22 Plenary Meeting.
It contains additional information of interest to the Ada and
ASIS community.

v/r
Currie Colket
Chair ASISWG/Chair ASISRG
+1 (703) 602-1483

P.S. Tri-Ada'97 (in St. Louis from 10-14 November 1997) will
have a number of ASIS activities ranging from a
tutorial, a panel, a paper, and possibly a BOF. The following
is a list of the current planned ASIS activities at Tri-Ada'97:

Monday Morning, 10 November; Half Day Tutorial

   Building Development Tools for Use with GNAT.
   Sergey I. Rybin, Moscow State University

Tuesday Afternoon, 11 November; 4:00-5:30 P.M.; ASIS Panel

   ASIS Panel: Roll Your Own Analysis Tools

   Chair:      Mr. Currie Colket, Chairman ASISWG/ASISRG
   Panelists:  Dr. Joyce, Tokar, DDC-I
                   Technical Presentation on ASIS 95 Interface
               Dr. Bill Thomas, MITRE
                   Rolling Your Own Tools using ASIS
               Dr. Herm Fischer, MARK V
                   Roll Your Own Tools from ObjectMaker Experience
               Mr. Clyde Roby, IDA
                   ASIS 95 Artifacts on the Internet

Wednesday Afternoon, 12 November; 4:00-5:30 P.M. Paper Session:

   ASIStint: An Interpreter for Debugging and Testing ASIS Implementations.
   Mr. Vasiliy Fofanov, Moscow State University,
   Dr. Sergey Rybin, Moscow State University,
   Professor Alfred Strohmeier, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology

Wednesday Evening, 12 November; time TBD; Combined ASISWG/SAFEWG BOF

Details on each of these will be provided in a future email!!!
For more information on Tri-Ada'97 and the ASIS activities there,
please check out the Tri-Ada'97 Home Page at =>

        http://www.acm.org/sigada/tri-ada/

Convener's Report for the SC22 Plenary Meeting =>