TEAM-ADA  December 1997

TEAM-ADA December 1997

FORW: A modest victory for Ada in academia

Hal Hart <[log in to unmask]>

Hal Hart <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Dec 1997 13:41:38 -0800

 Mike, John, & maybe Ron know this, but there has been a recent
discussion thread on the SIGCSE.Members mailer about the merits of the
CS AP exam going to C++ in '99, the merits of multiple- vs
single-language emphasis in CS programs, the merits of various
languages in various places in the CS curriculum, and the merits of
teaching OO at the introductory level, etc.  I am forwarding to you
below a recent post (which makes several nice summary points by
itself) showing that Ada is very visible in this discussion among the
1/3 of 2000 SIGCSE members who have joined the list server.  Read the
2nd and last (4th) paragraphs below.

While C++ and Java have been mentioned more than Ada across the 10-20
msgs in this thread, Ada has been mentioned often enough (probably 3rd
most often) that I am very satisfied that its visibility and
credibility in academia are competitive, and not noticeably losing
ground.  (...  factoring out predicted near-term "rushes to judgment"
to switch to Java and then the predicted degrees of disappointment
with that move)

Enjoy.          -- Hal