Re: ADA83 Booch Components Library

David Weller <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:37:45 -0500

>      I am trying to obtain a listing/information on the old ADA83 Booch
>      Components library, assuming there was such a library. I only find
>      information on the new ADA95 library on the 'net' (www.rivatech site).

The old Ada83 components should not be considered for "real-time"
defense apps for several reasons:
        1) They are unsupported.  You buy the source, but it's up to
you to test/maintain them
        2) They are notoriously inefficient.
        3) If I recall correctly, they won't compile "as is" with the
Ada95 compilers (I think I saw this somewhere, I don't have a copy of
them myself).
        4) (Obviously) They don't take advantage of any Ada95 features

There's a few other reasons, but I think you should weight those the
heaviest.

>      With respect to the new library, there seems to be a 'NOT VALIDATED"
>      disclaimer. I would like to be put in contact with someone who has
>      actually used and/or validated this library or some components
>      thereof.

There is no "validation" beyond what is provided.  My company, RIVA,
would be glad to develop a validation suite to address your needs.
You may contact us at (817)496-8833.

>      The library is being considered for use on a real-time defense
>      application. The test routines included are appreciated, but are they
>      in any way exhaustive?  Is there any more complete documentation on
>      these routines?

Not yet :-)  I have a major project I'm finishing in a week and a
half.  After that, I'll be devoting some time to getting a new release
out, with some additional documentation.  The biggest problem right
now is priorities.  We're a small company and the "paying" jobs
override the "free" work we do for the Ada community.  If a company,
or companies, want to get a "guaranteed" delivery schedule or a
complete validation on the components, we would want to establish a
"support" contract.  The components are free to use, but they are
being developed entirely on our nickel right now, so it's low on the
priority "totem pole".  We'd be glad to entertain changing that with
sufficient backing/sponsorship.

>      I would appreciate any information or user contact information you
>      could provide me.

I know the web pages are more like cobweb pages :-), but there will be
a revision to our stuff in a couple of weeks also.  We've had several
major contracts that are wrapping up mid-month, so we'll be revamping
the web pages, components, etc.  We'll be fixing the feedback page,
for instance (long overdue!).

The current pages can be found at www.riva.com (or the older
www.rivatech.com).  If you need more info, call me at the number
listed above.

If everybody has read this far, I'd like to mention we're considering
creating a "quick pick" set of commonly-requested APIs also, either
via links or direct download (OpenGL bindings, for instance).  We're
looking for feedback on this idea.  The goal is to have a SMALL list
of components that people are likely to ask for.  Suggestions?
Feedback?