TEAM-ADA  January 1998

TEAM-ADA January 1998

Re: Are Ada Programmers really that hard to find?

Mike Brenner <[log in to unmask]>

Mike Brenner <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Jan 1998 15:34:05 -0500

One engineer said > I for one really like Ada, but I don't want to do
                  > any more embedded programming or defense/aerospace
                  > work. I want to do GUIs, which usually
                  > aren't present in embedded systems.

First, let me congratulate you on disagreeing with me (I would rather
do embedded systems). This means the world is large enough for both
of us!

Second, let me further emphasize what you said by saying GUIs are
NEVER present in embedded systems. An embedded system does NOT have
a user. An embedded system is INSIDE some other system, which may
or may not have a GUI (ususally it does not).

Embedded systems are stuff like:

all the firmware with y2k problems on the Net and the nets,
the satellites, the VCRs, the elevators, the trainyards, the robot
brains, the DNA nano-robots that combine the correct portion of the
helix with the correct topoisomeraze to rebraid a coded gene,
the fuel injector and speed control of your car, the frequency
seeker on your radar or encrypted radio, clocks, CD ROM readers
and writers, disk drives, keyboards, EHF oscillators, high
energy physics accelerator magnets, airplane engines, ISDMS circuits
which examine aircraft electric busses to determine which piece
of equipment put the bad byte onto the bus, soda pop machines,
anything that works with push buttons instead of computer graphics,
drones, bombs, missiles, unmanned automotive devices,
electronic transfer networks, spy listening posts, land mines,
buoys, sonar, torpedos, autopilots, alarms, personnel detectors,
vault doors controls, voltage-controlled electric chairs such as the
low voltage models used to teach toddlers their times tables,
surgical-laser controllers, remote borescope controllers,
infra-red remote control boxes, the football shaped remote control
that launches relatiatory nuclear strikes, telephone controllers,
telephone switchers, telephone routers, telephone blue boxes,
pay telephones, MIDI musical instruments, musical synthesizers,
temperature guantors for cyber-frozen corpses which could also be
used for frozen alien bodies, the security devices protecting
the true location of the legend of doom headquarters, same for
the Plan B headquarters of the US Government if the 50 states
should be melted in a nuclear war, the mixer at Fulvio's Pizza,
the ovens at Fulvio's Pizza, the telescopes at Mt. Palomar,
the radio controlled parachute release on the Hercules delivery
system, the scales at the truck weigh-in place, the computer in
the hearing aid of psychic Mage the Magician, the hearing aid on
Grandma, the traffic light control system in Manhatten center,
the bridge raising computer in San Francisco, and the corridor control
which leads potential suiciders to the diving board on top of the
World Trade Center and usually deploys the net fast enough to
catch them 10 floors beneath.

In a more fictional context, the Star Treck and Star Treck Next
Generation computers were voice-controlled non-Gui embedded systems,
and even the Tri-Quarters Doctor McCoy used in Star Trek were textual
intefaces with buttons, not GUIs.

Enjoy your GUIs in peace
Mike