Re: Ada Home Activity in Jan 98 -Reply

James Squire <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Feb 1998 08:16:21 -0600

Stanley Allen <[log in to unmask]> 02/05/98 09:48pm wrote:

>Is there even a way to gauge how many current Ada developers there are
>out there and their salary ranges?  I know many Ada developers who
>abandon the language because they don't believe they can make a career
>of it.  It takes considerable persuasion on my part to get them to even
>consider that this might not be the case.  And these are generally
>people who enjoy the language itself.  (Naturally, I make a point of
>telling them about the people who have left my office for 6-figure
>consulting jobs doing commercial Ada development.)

If this is truly a false myth, then somebody has to do a big selling
job, because people out here in industry believe it.  I just talked to
someone a week ago who is involved in an Ada project on Solaris that is
moving to a PC environment and doing a study to determine whether they
should switch to C++ or not.  He told me that he thinks that Ada is
clearly the best language, but feels they should switch to C++ because
there aren't enough Ada programmers available (they have a bit of a
turnaround).

I said that I didn't understand why anyone would turn down a job just
because the language was Ada, because I learned Ada on the job in a
week.  Granted I wasn't great in it right away, but any CS major or
experienced software engineer should be able to learn Ada without too
much trouble, especially if you are familiar with C++, Pascal, even C.

I can understand people thinking that C++ is the way to go, but all I
see there is being open to C++ jobs.  Why does that mean saying "no" to
an Ada job?  If the *job* is with a good company and the project is a
good one, why should anyone turn that down simply because they would be
programming in Ada, and "as everyone knows, C++ is where it's at!"?????

IMO, this "I can't make a career in Ada" excuse really means "I am
personally prejudiced against Ada because it *makes* me use good
programming practice, aned *that's* no fun.  If I *want* to use good
programming practice, *that's* different."

I have been embarrassed for my profession for a couple of years now, and
I have not yet found a reason to change that to pride.
---
James Squire             Send my Spam to mailto:[log in to unmask]
MDA^H^H^HBoeing St. Louis                          http://www.boeing.com
Hey Novell, is it too much to ask that when I log out of NetWare, it
should ACTUALLY record that I've logged out, so that it doesn't have to
scramble around the house laboriously when I try to log back in, forcing
me to ring the door bell 20 times??????
Opinions expressed here are my own and NOT my company's
"We are already, as you so quaintly put it, going straight to hell. We
 cannot escape what's coming."
        -- G'Kar (to Garibaldi), "Comes the Inquisitor"