TEAM-ADA  June 1998

TEAM-ADA June 1998

Re: GNAT for LinuxPPC - anyone have more info?

Matthew Heaney <[log in to unmask]>

Matthew Heaney <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Jun 1998 18:48:21 GMT

> if you know what you are doing you can avoid this, but its not the
> kind of slam dunk that would allow someone without experience to get
> it done.

That's about my situation.  I know how to use the patch utility, and run
configure, but that's about it.  I get completely lost trying to merge
different changes from different vendors to the same source code.

It's even worse these days.  Because the linux (ppc?) camp wasn't
satisfied with the (slow) rate at which FSF was making changes to gcc,
they went out and created their own brand of gcc, called egcs.  The
linuxppc guys seem to prefer that you use that compiler, but I don't
know if gnat can even work with that.

The thing is, right now, I don't even care much about how good the code
generation is.  I just want a compiler that can compile my toy programs
that I write for the patterns list, etc.

> but much more important, gnat 3.11 only works with gcc 2.8.1 and above,
> which as far as i know has not been done for linuxppc (i could be wrong).
> do you know anything about support for 2.8.1 in linuxppc?

I think it has been ported.  Below is the text of a message from someone
from cygnus.

Matt

(start of message)