Re: On Windows CE, Psion's EPOC, ARM processor and Ada

"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.

Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:38:40 -0700

From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.
To: Dirk Craeynest et al.
As an owner and user of a Windows CE based Cassiopea hand held PC, I must
point out a very significant commercial problem with other operating
systems, such as EPOC, they have no means to exchange information with the
users' PC. I can exchange Pocket Word and Excel files between my hand held
and my PC. I even loaded Outlook 98 on my PC in order to be able to move my
e-mail message from my handheld to my PC. (This has not been tried yet.) I
will also admit that I greatly prefer FrameMaker to Word and do not like
much of Excel.

The solution to this problem is, of course, operating system independent
standards. There are two organizations in the US that theoretically could
make it happen: the National Institute of Standards and Technology, NIST,
and GSA. Since GSA controls the money, it is the only US Governmental
organization really capable of enforcing a standard. In terms of creating
software standards, NIST has been replaced by ANSI, the IEEE, and ISO.

I still believe that Windows CE makes very good sense for embedded systems
and that the Ada Marketing Directors should schedule a Windows CE product.
Also, does EPOC run on any other processor than ARM?

However, if the European Economic Community or other group wish to take on
Microsoft, I would strongly recommend Ada and quality software engineering.
Customers are drawn to products that actually work and are reliable.
Unfortunately Sun, IBM, Netscape, et al. are trying to stop a raging
rhinoceros with a pop-gun (Java).