Re: On Windows CE, Psion's EPOC, ARM processor and Ada

"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.

Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:58:20 -0700

To: Corey Minyard et al.
From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.

I am glad to see that Psion does exchange files with the standard Microsoft
applications.

You wrote, "can you imagine defining a word processing format with a
committee?"
Yes, it is called XML.

You wrote, "My understanding is that Windows CE is a very large operating
system (I have heard reports of 700,000 LOC, but I'm not sure if it is
true)."

The size of the Windows CE code is irrelevant. The question is what is the
smallest footprint of Windows CE, that one can use for a particular
application? Microsoft is making multiple versions of Windows CE. I am sure
that if one eliminates the GUI, the size of the system will be significantly
reduced.

You wrote, "Windows CE doesn't exactly have a plethora of ports either." I
know of MIPS, Hitachi, and Intel. I understand that a J code version is
being developed.
The real question is, how did Microsoft do this? Is there a common
intermediate format, perhaps written by the chip makers? If so is would be a
very cost effective means to host Ada on multiple microprocessors.

You wrote, "I don't agree with that quality software engineering will stop
Microsoft."
One counter argument, to every businessman, professional, etc. his/her
operating software is mission-critical. Microsoft has a large number of
users, like myself who do not particularly like the Microsoft products we
use. The king of the mountain in this business can change very quickly. Most
of Microsoft's competitors lost because the followed Microsoft like sheep.
The fools who went early on to C++ and the Microsoft Foundation classes got
what they deserved. The way to beat Microsoft is to not play by Microsoft's
rules.

We have had the entertainment of Corel trying to build a complete office
suite in Java instead of changing WordPerfect's internal codes to HTML.
Lotus threw away Improv, which was the first commercially available,
intelligently designed spreadsheet.

You mentioned Linux. How many of Microsoft's competitors have hosted their
applications on Linux? I am convinced that although Microsoft has some very
sharp executives, one of the major causes of their success was the
incredibly poor decision making of their competitors.

As for, Microsoft becoming , "victims of their own arrogance." This is the
way most US corporations fail. It certainly was the cause of IBM's downfall.

Returning to Linux, the best way to increase the use of this operating
system is to provide it with a core written in Ada 95.

I have been informed that I will Chair the SigAda '98 Workshop on
commercializing Ada. I am looking forward to sharing ideas with the
attendees. I hope that together we can greatly increase commercial uses of
Ada with benefit to the users and ourselves.

Yours, Bob Leif