Operating Systems in Ada. Was RE: On Windows CE, Psion's EPOC, ARM processor and Ada

"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.

Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:44:55 -0700

To: Bruce Link et al.
From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.

Please notice that my statement was, "the best way to increase the use of
this operating system is to provide it with a core written in Ada 95." I
used the term CORE. I did NOT suggest rewriting Linux in its entirety. When
I build a system in Ada, I do not wish to interface with another language on
anything involving real-time or that would significantly effect the
reliability of the system.

Presently, I do NOT have a C compiler and do not believe that possession of
a C compiler or intricate knowledge of C and its prodigy should be a
prerequisite for use of Ada.

If anyone is interested in creating an operating system in Ada, I most
strongly suggest that you obtain a copy of Project Oberon by Nikalaus Wirth
(Ada's Grandfather) and Jurg Gutknecht Addison-Wesley, ACM Press. I believe
that Ada would be a better language to implement their operating system than
Oberon itself. The frames and text sections of Project Oberon would be a
good starting point. I would also recommend use of XML.

I believe that the initial Ada design called for a database to manage the
file system. This is absolutely correct. I am still waiting for INEEL to
extend Sage-ST (AdaSAGE) into an object relational database. Sage-ST has
very powerful concordance features.
Yours, Bob  Leif