TEAM-ADA  July 1998

TEAM-ADA July 1998

Ada Books -- 265 of them !! -- Many Need Reviews !

"Panfil, Thomas A." <[log in to unmask]>

Panfil, Thomas A.

Wed, 8 Jul 1998 21:36:11 -0400

Team,

I've recently discovered that Computer Literacy Book Store's Web Site
provides listings for 265 Ada books!  That was many more than I had
thought had been published.  If you look them over, however, you'll see
some "Americans with Disabilities Act", etc., but probably 95% are
actual Ada books & Walnut Creek CD-ROMS.  Probably over half are out of
print and no longer available, but I think it valuable to see them all
listed.  Quite a history.

Comparative Statistics at the site:

        C:                      6704
        C++:                    1059
        Visual Basic:    657
        Java:                    599
        Ada:                     265

This site supports easy sorting, and has good visual cues as to whether
CD-ROMs or Floppy Disks are included with books, and it also flags the
books for which "More Information" is available.  In general, the "More
Information" is in the form of reviews by readers.

Unfortunately, too many of the Ada books do not seem to have "More
Information", and I don't think that this gives a good impression of
Ada.

I'd recommend that Team Members who consider themselves qualified to
provide short reviews of Ada books which they have read, go ahead and
post them.  I'd also recommend that Ada authors make some attempt to get
honest reviews posted for their books, if necessary.  Might help sales.
The site provides an easy way to post reviews.

The URL for this site is:

        http://www.clbooks.com/

I've also looked at the Amazon.Com site.  It has fine books, the same
ones I expect, but a lot more ADA books mixed in with the Ada.  It does
not provide statistics on the number of matches when one searches on a
category.  It doesn't seem to provide the array of sort options either.
Of course, Magnus Kempe's Ada Home site has a fine selection of
important and available books, but I can't extract data on listings
there like I can at Computer Literacy.

        Tom Panfil -- [log in to unmask]

P.S.#1  I don't work for Computer Literacy Book Store.  I just bought 3
books from its site, and was amazed at what I found.

P.S.#2  If you know of other sites which need reviews of their Ada
books, I'd recommend posting there too.