Re: Looking for opinions on a what if

Randy Brukardt <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:07:39 -0600

----------
From:  Ian Goldberg
Sent:  Friday, January 22, 1999 7:59 PM
>> BTW, the "demo" version of Claw is free, and open source, and while not
>> including all the fancy bells and whistles, it is all by itself a
>> non-trivial, useful thick binding to Windows.  It really seems a shame
>> to me (having spent quite a bit of time working on Claw) for a) there to
>> be multiple re-inventions of the same wheel and b) multiple people
>> spending a lot of time doing/waiting for those reinventions.  Better to
>> build on top of one another's work than to attempt each time to start
>> over.

>I don't understand what you mean by open-source.

I think Tom meant "open source" in its literal meaning ("anyone can
get and look at the source") rather than the meaning it is getting
("GPLed software").

>This sure doesn't sound like I could develop/modify/expand and
>redistribute.  I liked what I saw about CLAW from the SIGAda
>paper, but most any price multiplied by 1000 cadets/year gets
>expensive.

Damn lawyers! :)

Actually, our intention was that the demo could be used for any
non-commercial purpose without any strings. In addition, we had
intended a very broad view of non-commerical purpose - we mean
essentially any purpose where you don't make money because
of the use of Claw. (That is, if you needed to write a one-time,
in house only app using Claw, we don't care if you work at a
commercial estabishment. OTOH, if you sell a product using
Claw, you ought to buy something...)

As far as redistribution goes, if you use the original demo
distribution, anyone can redistribute that, again as long as you
don't make money from it.

It was very important to us that the demo be usable for
educational purposes. It intentionally has the controls that a
student-type program would use included in the demo. This
was based on input from several educators.

I already have an action item to write a statement-of-use for the
demo, to avoid the sort of misconception that apparently is
quite common over the intended uses. I'll try to remember
to post something here when it is completed.

We also have inexpensive educational licenses to the full
Claw (and our other products as well). Some schools sell
the products as text books for a class, so the school itself
has to come up with no money. And I'm sure that we could
have an even better price for 1000 at year...

                Randy Brukardt
                R.R. Software, Inc.