ASE Website and CDROM

"Richard L. Conn" <[log in to unmask]>

Richard L. Conn

Tue, 23 Feb 1999 02:57:48 -0500

Hi, Everyone,

For those of you who have not yet tried it out, the
Ada and Software Engineering (ASE) website (with its
associated 2-disc CDROM distribution) is freely
available to you.  This website and CDROM is like
"the best of the Public Ada Library plus extras"
with the added flare of serving as an archive
for historical purposes.  The ASE URL (which
has a limit of 3,600 simultaneous users) is:
  ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/ase/index.htm

The website contains the same material as the
CDROM with the exception that the Card Catalog
and index on the website is oriented to the
website, while the Card Catalog and index on the
CDROM 2-disc set is oriented to the set.

A second ASE website is expected to come online
later this week.  I'll post another message with
instructions when it is ready.

ASE's thrust is Software (and Systems) Engineering, and
(by the way) Ada is an excellent language to support
this activity.  You can read more about ASE from its
writeup on:
  http://www.cdrom.com/titles/prog/ada.htm

You can also use this site to order a copy of the
ASE CDROM 2-disc set if you wish.

The ASE 2-disc CDROM set was distributed at:
  SIGAda '98
  Ada-Belgium '98
It will also be distributed at:
  1999 DoD Software Technology Conference
  1999 ACM Computer Science Education Conference
  Spring COMDEX

Some statistics:
  Disc ID   # Dirs   # Files        # Bytes
  =======   ======   =======  =============
 ASE 01_01     415     6,859    579,955,622
 ASE 01_02     271     2,838    575,871,444
               ===     =====  =============
 Total         686     9,697  1,155,827,066

  Of these files, many of them are ZIP files.
  The total number of files (counting those
  in ZIP files) is over 73,500.

Plans are now forming to produce a 3rd ASE
CDROM, ASE 01_03.  As its ID implies, this
CDROM will be an update to the existing
2-disc set, and the ASE Card Catalog (with
Index) will cover all three discs.

For those of you who are Ada fans, the Card
Catalog and index were created using a family
of programs written in Ada called the Generic
Web-based Reuse Library (GWRL).  GWRL weaves
a web from information contained in asset
descriptors, forming a hypertext document that
is compatible with HTML 2.0 and up.  GWRL
(with its Ada95 source code) is included
in the ASE.

Disclaimer: I am managing the ASE website and
acting as editor of the website and CDROMs as
a public service.  I receive no income from the
sale of the CDROMs.  I wish to thank the CDROM
publisher, Walnut Creek CDROM, for supporting
this activity.  I wish to also thank those
named in the ASE Card Catalog for their
contributions to the Public Ada Library and
other public distribution resources.

Rick Conn
ASE Manager
Richard Conn, ASE, PAL, and SDE Manager