TEAM-ADA  June 1999

TEAM-ADA June 1999

Re: Intel-OA: Adacounter source code counter

"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 Jun 1999 08:15:58 -0700

From: Bob Leif
To: Kevin Radke et al.

I have taken the liberty of cross-posting this to Team-Ada since I believe
that this discussion now is not specific to ObjectAda.

Kevin Radke asked, "The described metrics do sound interesting.  Is anything
similar being done for other languages?"

I have not heard of this being done with other languages. Marketing managers
of other languages would probably be ill-advised to allow the release of
sophisticated metrics to quantitate productivity. As most of the members of
this group believe, if good measurements of the effort to develop and
maintain software were actually kept, Ada '95 would rout the competition.

This type of record keeping is plain old good manufacturing practices.
However, it is in the best interests of companies which sell a group of
software development products, such as Aonix, to create and sell this type
of tool for at least Ada and if possible other languages. The most
ridiculous articles now appear in Cross-Talk and other Journals, "My company
has achieved Carnegie Mellon (CMU) level 3 and I am closer to Nirvana." I do
not wish to cast aspersions on any methodology; however, where is the data?
If companies, such as Aonix, can market tools to objectively measure
closeness to Nirvana, then there would be objective feedback on the software
process.

This is why I wish to measure language efficiency. I think software
engineering has to develop the equivalent of thermodynamics before we
attempt quantum mechanics.

You are correct, ASIS should make this possible. As I stated at SIGAda '98,
the capacity of reasonably accurately, objectively measure the amount of
software provides the very intriguing possibility of equitably dividing up
the royalties for large projects amongst multiple developers.