TEAM-ADA  July 1999

TEAM-ADA July 1999

Email Program Distribution

Dr Richard Messnarz <[log in to unmask]>

Dr Richard Messnarz <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Jul 1999 17:09:08 +0100

*          EuroSPI'99 Preliminary Conference Program                *

      25.-27.10.99, Pori School of Technology, Finland

                          organised by

    Delta (www.delta.dk), IVF (www.ivf.se), ISCN (www.iscn.ie),
             Sintef (www.sintef.no), STTF (www.sttf.fi)

Key Note : Kim Caputo, Unisys
--------

Ms. Kim Caputo is the author of CMM Implementation Guide:
Choreographing Software Process Improvement published by Addison Wesley
Longman.
She is currently the Business Excellence Manager for software development
at Unisys Corporation, where she has worked with large and small projects,
leading improvement efforts, action planning, defining processes, and
delivering training for the past decade.  She frequently speaks at the
SEPG and Software Technology Conferences and at local SPIN meetings around
the U.S.
She is a certified ISO 9000 auditor.  Ms. Caputo holds a double degree
major BS in Mathematics and Information and Computer Science, Cum Laude
and Phi Beta Kappa, from UC Irvine in addition to her first degree, a BA
in Dance, Magna Cum Laude.

Key Note : Mrs Giselle Roesems, European Commission, DG XIII
--------

Mrs Giselle Roesems will present the chances and opportunities in the new
5th framework program of the European Union. In particular, as the call for
take up activities will be open, it would be specifically addressed.

Conference Architecture
***********************
EuroSPI's mission is to create a platform to exchange process improvement
experiences aiming at return on investment.

EuroSPI Tutorials:
=================

Monday, 25.10.99: Tutorial Day
------------------------------

09.30 - 12.00

* Tutorial 1 "Root Cause Analyses"

      How to identifying the most important problems and attack their root
      causes by combining data collection, Pareto analysis and Ishikawa
      diagrams.

      Tor Stalhane, Kari Juul Wedde, Tore Dyba - SINTEF (Norway)

* Tutorial 2 "Data Analysis"

     Data analysis is a way of making decisions based on data. The workshop
     will focus on how to select the "right method" for analysis, how to
     draw conclusions and how to assess the corresponding risks.

    Tor StÂlhane, Kari Juul Wedde, Tore Dyb  - SINTEF (Norway)

  Both workshops will be based on experiences from SPI projects for
  Norwegian software industry and illustrated by real examples and cases.

* Tutorial 3 "A Learning Organisation Approach for SPI"

     People involvement in SPI, learning aspects, and how to
     build a learning environment in which a well defined
     and measured process is an implicit result. Do it with
     the people.

     Richard Messnarz, Gearoid O'Suilleabhain, (Bestregit Consortium)

14.15 - 16.15

* Tutorial 4 "Action Planning techniques for SPI"

      Experiences, Steps, pitfalls, and lessons learned
      Kim Caputo, Unisys (USA)

* Tutorial 5 "Business Thinking and SPI (PICO)"

      Return on investment, management decision problems, multi
      criteria decision making, the role of SPI.

      Richard Messnarz, ISCN, Miklos Biro, Sztaki (PICO Team)

* Tutorial 6 "Better Requirements"

      Experience with software process improvement focusing on better
      requirements engineering methods and techniques with the purpose of
      preventing defects, Jan Pries-Heje, DELTA (Denmark)

* Tutorial 7 "SPICE and the Balanced Scorecard Framework"

      SPICE and its extensions in Finland.

      Risto Nevalainen, STTF, (Finland)

With one entrance fee for the tutorial day the attendees are free to choose
any.

EuroSPI Conference:( Two Days)
===================

The conference days represent a well selected mixture of PIEs (Process
Improvement Experiments) funded by the European Union, and of industrial
experience reports. All papers run through defined review cycles and
quality is controlled.
A final program with the detailed names of speakers and companies will be
distributed
in August.

Day 1 Tuesday, 26.10.1999:
_________________________

Key Note Session 1: Kim Caputo - UNISYS Corporation (USA)
    Improving the Way We Improve the Software Process

Session 1: SPI and Strategies

Session 2: SPI and Testing I

Session 3:  SPI and Re-Use

Session 4:  SPI in Very Small Companies

Session 5:  SPI and Process Definitions I

Session 6:  SPI and Systems

Session 7:  SPI and Process Definitions II

Day 2 Wednesday 27.10.1999
__________________________

Key Note Session 2: Mrs Gisele Roesems, EC, DG 13
    The 5th Framework Program - Chances and Opportunities

Session 8:  SPI and Measurement I

Session 9:  SPI and Assessments

Session 10:  SPI Surveys

Session 11:  SPI and People Management

Session 12:  SPI and Measurement II

Session 13:  SPI in Public Organisations

Session 14:  SPI and Testing II

Closing Panel.

Conference location and connections
***********************************

Located at the mouth of Kokemoenjoki River, on the west coast of Finland,
Pori is an interesting combination of old and new. It's one of Finland's
oldest towns with 77000 inhabitants. Internationally Pori is best known
of the annual Pori Jazz Festival. In the region operates over 40, mainly
small, software companies. At the Pori School of Technology and
Economics, subsidiary of Tampere University of Technology, one of the
key education and research areas is software engineering including SPI.

http://www.pori.fi/english/eind.html

Pori is easy to reach: There is six daily return flights to Pori from
Helsinki and two from Stockholm. Bus transfer (3 hours) is also possible
between Pori and Helsinki. Nearest intercontinental hubs are Helsinki and
Stockholm.

Accommodation
*************

HOTEL
Sokos Hotel Vaakuna
Gallen-Kallelankatu 7
FIN-28100 PORI
Tel. +358 2 528 100
Fax. +358 528 1182

Hotel is located near the market place in the heart of the city of Pori.
Accomodation to be booked by the participants.
EuroSPI rates: Single room  65,59 Euro (390 Mk), Double room 77,37 Euro
(460 Mk).
Credit cards accepted (Visa, EuroCard/MasterCard, Diners, American Express).

Distance from the hotels to the conference is suitable for a nice walk
ranging from 0,7 to 1,5 km. Distance between Pori airport and hotels is
only about 3 km - Pori is extraordinary in having a walking area from the
airport to the city centre, and to the conference!

Conference Venue
****************

The conference can be held at Pori School of Technology and Economics
(PSTE) located by the river in a renovated 19th century Cotton Mill, 700m
from the city centre.

http://www.pori.tut.fi/english/

It is planned that the social event includes restaurant dinner with live
jazz music.

Conference Secretariat
**********************

Web Site: http://www.bigfoot.com/~EuroSPI
EuroSPI Conference Secretariat
c/o International Software Consulting Network
    Co-ordination Office
    Florence House, 1 Florence Villas
    Bray, Co. Wicklow
    email:  [log in to unmask]
    Fax. +353 1 286 5078

*  Please register your interest through computer supported submission  *
*  forms on http://www.bigfoot.com/~EuroSPI to ensure that you will     *
*             receive a final program of this conference                *

---
|  Dr techn. Dipl. Ing. Richard Messnarz, Director of ISCN       |
|                       EuroSPI Consortium Board Member          |
|  International Software Consulting Network, Bray, Ireland      |
+-----------------------------+----------------------------------+
|  ISCN Co-ordination Office  |  Tel.:   +353 (0)1 286 1583      |
|  Florence House             |  Mobile: +353 (0)87 231 5465     |
|  1 Florence Villas          |  Fax:    +353 (0)1 286 5078      |
|  Bray, Co. Wicklow          |  email:  [log in to unmask]           |
|  Ireland                    |  www:    http://www.iscn.ie      |
|  ISCN Development Office, Graz, Austria                        |
|  ISCN Regionalstelle        |  Tel.:   +43 316 811198          |
|  Schieszstattgasse 4/24     |  Mobile: +43 664 210 6416        |
|  A-8010 Graz                |  Fax:    +43 316 811312          |
|  Austria                    |  email:  [log in to unmask] |
|                             |  www:    http://www.iscn.ie      |