TEAM-ADA  September 1999

TEAM-ADA September 1999

Re: How to provide Ada with the best possible GUI. was RE: Two interesting approaches to job hunting and more

"Richard L. Conn" <[log in to unmask]>

Richard L. Conn

Sat, 11 Sep 1999 21:55:39 -0400

The upcoming Ada and Software Engineering CDROM (which will be
distributed to all SIGAda 99 attendees) will have material on
this topic, so you can look there for more details.

Basically, we have this in a nutshell:

1. Any HTML form is of the following format (in HTML)
  <form method="POST" action="~URL to data server~">
  ... form-oriented tags and normal HTML tags ...
  <input type="submit" value="text on SUBMIT button">
  </form>

where ~URL to data server~ is the URL of your Ada program, acting as a data
server.  I referenced the POST method here, but GET works just as well.
What POST does is send the data from the form into standard input of the
data server, where GET sends the data from the form into a (sometimes
very long) command line.  The Ada program is a normal Ada program, residing
in a Common Gateway Interface directory or subdirectory.

The INPUT tag causes a SUBMIT button to be displayed with the indicated
text.  When the user presses this button, the data in the various fields of
the form (text boxes, etc) is encoded into one of the enctypes and sent to
the
standard input of the data server indicated in the URL (in this case, an
Ada program).  I forget the name of the "standard" enctype offhand.

2. Once the Ada program (acting as a data server) receives the
enctype-encoded
data, it simply decodes/parses it and performs its function (stores data,
etc).

3. The Ada program should usually send a message back to the user,
confirming
the transaction.  To do this, the Ada program has to compose a web page
(using
HTML) and simply send it to standard output.  The only hitch is to remember
start that web page with:
  ... blank line ...
  ... your program-composed HTML ...

That's about it ... no rocket science here.  Most of the tricks I had to
deal with were within the Ada program, addressing issues surrounding the
problems associated with multiple copies of the same program running at the
same time.  All data files had to be unique, and any generated scripts had
to have unique names as well.

Rick
Richard Conn, ASE and PAL Manager
http://xenadu.home.mindspring.com/