TEAM-ADA  September 1999

TEAM-ADA September 1999

EuroSPI'99 Conference Program

Dr Richard Messnarz <[log in to unmask]>

Dr Richard Messnarz <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:50:57 +0000

+*************************************************************************+
|                         EuroSPI'99 Conference                           |
|                  European Software Process Improvement                  |
+*************************************************************************+
           Theme 99 : " Learn from the Past - Experience the Future "

                            25-27 October 1999
   Pori School of Technology & Economics, Pohjoisranta 11, Pori, FINLAND

          Conference Web Site : http://www.bigfoot.com/~EuroSPI

                               organised by
         DELTA (http://www.delta.dk), IVF (http://www.ivf.se),
       ISCN (http://www.iscn.ie, SINTEF (http://www.sintef.no),
                        STTF (http://www.sttf.fi)

We would like to thank the European Commission to support us in the
               integration of PIEs into this conference

Key Notes
*********

Mrs. Kim Caputo is the author of CMM Implementation Guide:
Choreographing Software Process Improvement published by Addison Wesley
Longman.
She is currently the Business Excellence Manager for software development
at Unisys Corporation, where she has worked with large and small projects,
leading improvement efforts, action planning, defining processes, and
delivering training for the past decade.

Mrs Giselle Roesems is a representative from the European Commission
DG XIII, and she will present the chances and opportunities in the new
5th framework program of the European Union. In particular, as the call for
take up activities will be open, it would be specifically addressed.

Mr Pekka Hintikka, Nokia Communications Finland, is the director for software
development at Nokia, and he will present process improvement experiences
at Nokia.

Key notes are organised as plenary sessions and open the days 1 and 2 of the
conference.

Tutorial Day, Monday 25 October 1999
************************************

There are 4 parallel morning and 4 parallel afternoon tutorials. Attendees
pay one tutorrial day fee and can freely walk between the tutorials. For two
of the tutorials (one selected morning and one selected afternoon tutorial)
attendees receive full hand-outs. For these two tutorials please register
in the registration form.

09.30-13.00

Tutorial 1: Root Cause Analysis

Tor Stalhane, Kari Juul Wedde, Tore Dyba, SINTEF (Norway) : Identifying the
most important problems and attack their root causes by combining data
collection, Pareto analysis and Ishikawa diagrams.

Tutorial 2 : Experience with Role and Teamwork Based SPI

Richard Messnarz, ISCN (Ireland),  Gabor Nadasi, ISCN (Austria): People
involvement in SPI, learning aspects, and how to build a learning environment,
teamwork  models, and network based strategies for cooperation

Tutorial 3 : Action Planning Techniques for SPI

Kim Caputo, UNISYS Corporation  (USA) : Experiences, steps, pitfalls, and
lessons learned

Tutorial 4 : Better Requirements

Jan Pries-Heje, DELTA (Denmark) : Experience with software process improvement
focusing on better reqirements engineering methods and techniques with the
purpose of preventing defects

14.15-17.45

Tutorial 5 : Data Analysis

Tor Stalhane, Kari Juul Wedde, Tore Dyba, SINTEF (Norway) : Data analysis is a
way of making decisions based on data : how to select the "right method" for
analysis, how to draw conclusions and how to assess risks

Tutorial 6 : Business Thinking and SPI (PICO)

Richard Messnarz, ISCN (Ireland), Miklos Biro, Sztaki (Hungary) : Return on
investment, management decisions problems, multi-criteria decision making,
the role of SPI

Tutorial 7 : SPICE and the Balanced Scorecard Framework

Risto Nevalainen, STTF (Finland) : SPICE and its extensions in Finland

Tutorial 8 : SPI in Regions of Europe (SPIRE)

SPIRE is a recently completed initiative, sponsored by the European Commission,
which helps small software development companies to implement Software Process
Improvement

Conference Day 1, Tuesday 26 October 1999

08.15 - 08.45 : Opening

Professor H. Jaakkola, Pori School of Technology, Finland : Towards the best
practices in SPI

08.45 - 09.30 : Key Note Session 1

K. Caputo, Unisys Corporation, USA : Improving the way we improve the software
process

Architecture of Parallel Sessions on Conference Day 1

09.45-12.00  Session 1 : SPI and Strategies  Session 2 : SPI and Testing I

12.00-13.00  Session 3 : SPI and Re-Use      Session 4 : SPI and Requirements
                                                         Management

14.15-16.00  Session 5 : SPI and Models/     Session 6 : SPI and Virtual
                         Processes I                     Team and QA Systems

16.30-18.30  Session 7 : SPI and Assessments Session 8 : SPI Surveys

20.30 Dinner

Session Details for Conference Day 1
------------------------------------

Session 1 : SPI and Strategies

* R. Westgaard,(et.al), Kongsberg Ericsson (Norway) :
  Process improvement as  part of a  total improvement  strategy
* M. Biro, Sztaki (Hungary), R. Messnarz, ISCN (Ireland) :
  Key success factors for business based process improvement
* T. Stalhane, SINTEF (Norway) :
  SPI - why isn't it more used ?
* Nancy Eickelmann, NASA (USA) :
  Software measurement - frameworks to assess the operational and strategic
  value of SPI

Session 2 : SPI and Testing I
* P. Jorgensen, Kapital IT (Denmark) :
  The quest for quality test resources, "Quality and efficiency in software
  testing by moving the technological boarder", ESSI project  QUEST
* F.J. Rodriguez Lopez, ELIOP (Spain) :
  Software inspection techniques in SMEs, ESSI project TESIS
* M. Prieler, EDV GmbH (Austria) : Experience with software testing, metrics
  and the introduction of test tools

Session 3 : SPI and Re-Use
* R. Torlen, Provida (Norway) :
  Finding a pratical approach to organised reuse
* W. Daxwanger, SEKAS (Germany) :
  SEPIOR : Pratical experiences with reusable software components in CAM
  environments, ESSI project SEPIOR

Session 4 : SPI and Requirements Management
* A. Bartocci, CSELT (Italy) :
  The user requirements elicitation and specification process : deployment of
  experiences of the CSELT  DOMINO 2.0  methodology
* J. Elliott, DRA (UK) : Customer satisfaction through improved requirements
  understanding , ESSI project REJOICE

Session 5 : SPI and Establishment of Models/Processes I
* J. Plume, Riga Information Technology Institute (Latvia) :
  Process description and training : the two sides of the SPI ?
* F. Calzolari,E. Cozzio, FTC (Italy) :
  The impact of a new software development methodology and  how to afford the
  changing resistance, ESSI project Respect
* M. Willets, (et.al), Salford City Council, P. Kawalek, T. McMaster,
  D. Wastell, Univ. of Salford, Manchester and Warwick, (UK), K. Kautz,
  Copenhagen Business School (Denmark) :
  Managing change in the context of software process improvement, ESSI
  project CAPELLA

Session 6 : SPI and Virtual Team and QA Systems
* J. Lueling, IVM (Germany) :
  Results from the ESSI Process Improvement Experiment - Virtual Team,
  ESSI project VITE
* R. Messnarz, ISCN (Ireland), K. Zesar, Hyperwave, G. Nadasi, ISCN (Austria):
  Experience with process improvement collaborations in distributed virtual
  work environments
* O. Tejedor, GMV (Spain) :
  Automating a Quality System - A Network based Approach, ESSI project ACQUASI

Session 7 : SPI and Assessments/Evaluations
* A.B. Jakobsen, DELTA (Denmark) :
  Precise and quick feedback to the project using the TPR-PIF assessment
  method
* T.Dyba, (et.al), SINTEF (Norway) :
  Rethinking the use of software process assessments
* Y. Wang, IVF (Sweden), G. King, Southampton Institute (UK) :
  Philosophies and approaches to SPI
* J. Gyorkos, (et.al), Univ. of Maribor (Slovenia) :
  The general effect of an integrated software product evaluation

Session 8 : SPI Surveys
* T. Varkoi, (et.al), Tampere Univ. of Technology, (Finland) :
  Results from the SPIN in Western Finland
* B. Barafort, Centre de Recherche Public Henri Tudor (Luxembourg) :
  Results of the SPIRAL*NET ESSI ESBNET project
* Z. Mahmood, Univ. of Derby (UK) :
  Software engineering in the UK - A brief report
* A. Kalja :
  SPI in Estonia and Russia

Conference Day 2, Wednesday 27 October 1999

08.30 - 10.00 : Key Note Session 2

Giselle Roesems, European Commission, DG 13 (Belgium) :
Chances and opportunities in the new 5th framework program of the European
Union.
In particular, as the call for take up activities will be open, it will be
specifically addressed.

Pekka Hintikka, Director Software Development, NOKIA (Finland)
Process improvement experience at NOKIA

Architecture of Parallel Sessions on Conference Day 2

10.20-13.00  Session 9 : SPI and Models       Session 10 : SPI & Measurement I
                         /Processes II

14.15-16.15  Session 11: SPI & Measurement II Session 12 : SPI and People
                                                           Management

16.30-17.30  Session 13 : SPI  and Object     Session 14 : SPI and Testing II
                          Orientation

17.45-18.45  Closing Panel Discussion (to be announced on-site)

Session Details for Conference Day 2
------------------------------------

Session 9 : SPI and Establishment of Processes/Models  II
* S. Mazzini, Intecs Sistemi  (Italy) :
  Configuration  Management Deployment and Pratice Experiment, ESSI project
  CMEXP
* D.Scheifele, T. Buerger, ISG (Germany):
  Quality Assurance of Numerical Control SW based on Configuration Management,
  ESSI project INCOMM
* I. Richardson, (et.al), Univ. of Limerick (Ireland) :
  Improvement models for small software development companies
* E Arisholm, (et.al), Genera AS, D. Sjaeberg, Univ. of Oslo (Norway) :
  Improving an  evolutionary  development process
* F. Marinuzzi (Italy), Rightsizing versus client server with an outsourcing
  approach : a case of a big public service organisation

Session 10 : SPI and Measurement I
* D. Stasinos, (et.al), Intracom (Greece) :
  Applying Gilb's method of inspections to telecommunications software
  development, ESSI project GINSENG
* H. Meutstege, Centraal Beheer (Netherlands) :
  Improving the quality of the planning and tracking process, ESSI project
  PLANIT
* P. Pongas, Singular (Greece) :
  Testing and Accompanied Measurements, ESSI project STAMP
* P. Forselius, STTF (Finland) : Situational analysis of software projects
  - the Key input for SPI
* T. Orci, Royal Inst. of Technology, Univ. of Stockholm :
  Software Metrics for Process Improvement Experiments

Session 11 : SPI and Measurement II
* R. Sunde, Event AS (Norway) :
  A statistical approach to support project estimation and management,
  ESSI project SUPREME
* C. Giordani, Cortis Lentini (Italy), Introducing Professional Project
  Management, ESSI project 27370
* H-J Lied, Telenor (Norway) : Experience from process improvement in an SME
* N.B. Svendsen, B-K Medical (Denmark) :
  Error trending , why and how?

Session 12 : SPI and People Management
* G. Evangelisti, (et.al), Ericsson Telecomunicazioni (Italy) :
  People  management and development process to motivate, develop and retain
  the best resources
* Bestregit Consortium (Austria, Ireland, Spain) :
  A learning organisation approach for SPI
* K. Siakas, Univ. of North London (UK) :
  Process improvement : the societal iceberg
* Y. Wang, IVF (Sweden), H. Duncan, DCU  (Ireland) : IPSSI :
  An European methodology on PSP

Session 13 : SPI and object orientation
* A. Goerges,Minsheng Liu, Huengsberg AG (Germany) :
  Improvement of the quality in the software development process by Execution
  of ESSI project OFTPIVE. (UML Introduction)
* M. Dresselhaus, Reis Robotics (Germany) :
  Improvement of extendibility and modifiability of embedded  software through
  application of object-oriented design, ESSI project EMESO

Session 14 : SPI and Testing II
* M. Blaszczyk, Dakosy (Germany) :
  Improvement of development process through enhanced test procedures  and
  change request management, ESSI project ImproveTCR
* A. Gonzalez Iglesias, Sainsel (Spain) :
  Improvement of testing process through systematisation for increasing
  software manufacturing assurance, ESSI project TERRA FIRMA

Sponsors
********

Options for Sponsorship
-----------------------
Sponsorship Item               Amount           Services
A Business Lunch
     Conf. Day 1               3740    Euro     company leaflets on tables, and
     Conf. Day 2               3740    Euro     15 minutes key note at lunch
Social Event                   5000    Euro     talk to open the social event
Conference Bags                1050    Euro     company name printed on bag

Services for Sponsorship
------------------------

The sponsor will get the service of visibility creation and promotion, by
company leaflet distribution, announcement, and key notes (see previously
described options including key notes as services).

How to register as Sponsor
--------------------------

Either contact the coordination office directly and ask for Dr Messnarz, or
connect to the conference web site, follow the sponsor link, and complete
the registration form for sponsors and send by fax to +353 1 286 5078.

Exhibitors
**********

Exhibition
----------
The exhibition will be located beside the main conference and allows a
maximum of 15 exhibition stands. For providing exhibition places the First
- Come - First - Served principle will apply.
The coffee break area will be at the exhibition area ensuring that people
in the pauses will attend the exhibition and are able to see interesting
information and demonstrations.

Exhibition Focus
----------------
Tool and service providers who offer services, systems, tools, books,
guidelines, and co-operation opportunities in the fields of process
management, system management, measurement, planning, configuration
management, analysis, and all other options to support improvement and
smooth running of organisational processes.

Services for Exhibitors
-----------------------

The exhibitor will be provided with a table, 2 chairs, space of approx. 3 x
2  meters, 1 plate with company name, pin walls to put information on them.

What is not included
--------------------

We assume that the exhibitor will install software and hardware by himself,
no software or hardware is included in the exhibition services. They can be
ordered separately.

Prices
------

The above described services are charged at 1355 Euro per exhibition stand.
The exhibition includes the registration of one person that will look after
the stand.

How to register as Exhibitor
----------------------------

Connect to the conference web site and follow the exhibitor link. An A4
form is offered which you print, complete and send by fax to +353 1 286
5078.

Local Arrangements
******************

about Pori
----------

Located at the mouth of Kokemoenjoki River, on the west coast of Finland,
Pori is an interesting combination of old and new. It's one of Finland's
oldest towns with 77000 inhabitants. Internationally Pori is best known
of the annual Pori Jazz Festival. In the region operates over 40, mainly
small, software companies. At the Pori School of Technology and
Economics, subsidiary of Tampere University of Technology, one of the
key education and research areas is software engineering including SPI.

http://www.pori.fi/english/eind.html

Pori is easy to reach: There are six daily return flights to Pori from
Helsinki and two from Stockholm. Bus transfer (3 hours) is also possible
between Pori and Helsinki. Nearest intercontinental hubs are Helsinki and
Stockholm.

hotel information
-----------------

HOTEL
Sokos Hotel Vaakuna
Gallen-Kallelankatu 7
FIN-28100 PORI
Tel. +358 2 252 8100
Fax. +358 2 528 1182

The hotel is located near the market place in the heart of the city of Pori.
Accomodation to be booked by the participants.
EuroSPI rates: Single room  65,59 Euro (390 Mk), Double room 77,37 Euro
(460 Mk).
Credit cards accepted (Visa, EuroCard/MasterCard, Diners, American Express).

Distance from the hotels to the conference is suitable for a nice walk
ranging from 0,7 to 1,5 km. Distance between Pori airport and hotels is
only about 3 km - Pori is extraordinary in having a walking area from the
airport to the city centre, and to the conference!

Conference Venue
----------------

The conference is held at Pori School of Technology and Economics
(PSTE) located by the river in a renovated 19th century Cotton Mill, 700m
from the city centre.

http://www.pori.tut.fi/english/

Conference Secretariat
----------------------

Web Site: http://www.bigfoot.com/~EuroSPI
EuroSPI Conference Secretariat
c/o International Software Consulting Network
    Co-ordination Office
    Florence House, 1 Florence Villas
    Bray, Co. Wicklow
    email:  [log in to unmask]
    Fax. +353 1 286 5078

Prices
------
                 Early (before 1.10.1999)           Late

Tutorials             300 Euro                       350 Euro

Conference            500 Euro                       690 Euro

Combined              650 Euro                       850 Euro

The registration fee includes participation at the conference, conference
materials and proceedings, social event, coffee breaks and lunches.

How to Register
---------------

There are three possible ways to register.

1. Complete the registration page of the printed EuroSPI99 program
   and send it by fax to +353 1 286 5078

2. Connect to the WWW site and complete a registration form and
   confirm with SUBMIT

3. Just send an email directly to [log in to unmask] with the following text

   I hereby would like to register for EuroSPI99 (choose yes or no as
   appropriate)

   Tutorials            yes/no
   Conference           yes/no

   Name:
   Company/Organisation:
   Address:
   Post Code:
   City:
   State/Country:
   Phone:
   Fax:
   Email:

   I would like to pay by credit card :  yes/no

   If yes, please provide

   Card Number:

   Expiry Date:

   Card Type:  Visa , Master/EuroCard, Access

   Name of the Card Owner:
   (if different from above)

Note: Cancellation of registration is not possible after 15.10.99.
      You may determine a substitute.

*  Please register your interest through computer supported submission  *
*  forms on http://www.bigfoot.com/~EuroSPI to ensure that you will     *
*             receive a final program of this conference                *

---
|  Dr techn. Dipl. Ing. Richard Messnarz, Director of ISCN       |
|                       EuroSPI Consortium Board Member          |
|  International Software Consulting Network, Bray, Ireland      |
+-----------------------------+----------------------------------+
|  ISCN Co-ordination Office  |  Tel.:   +353 (0)1 286 1583      |
|  Florence House             |  Mobile: +353 (0)87 231 5465     |
|  1 Florence Villas          |  Fax:    +353 (0)1 286 5078      |
|  Bray, Co. Wicklow          |  email:  [log in to unmask]           |
|  Ireland                    |  www:    http://www.iscn.ie      |
|  ISCN Development Office, Graz, Austria                        |
|  ISCN Regionalstelle        |  Tel.:   +43 316 811198          |
|  Schieszstattgasse 4/24     |  Mobile: +43 664 210 6416        |
|  A-8010 Graz                |  Fax:    +43 316 811312          |
|  Austria                    |  email:  [log in to unmask] |
|                             |  www:    http://www.iscn.ie      |