TEAM-ADA  September 1999

TEAM-ADA September 1999

Re: How to provide Ada with the best possible GUI. was RE: Two in

Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:17:45 -0600

I couldn't agree more. ACT is great, but the problem is that their support
costs much more than that "included" with the RTOS toolsets. That is what
the holders of the purse strings see, not the savings due to better tools.
The govt's focus on COTS is driving a big part of it, it costs more but they
feel better about it because they saved money in the current budget. And
yes, it is backwards.

The problem remains the I can't throw a chart on the overhead and prove
beyond a shadow of a doubt that Ada will save money in the long run. Those
numbers exist for Ada83 in some cases, the Verdix paper is excellent. Ada95
doesn't have that paper trail yet, by the time it has it may be to late for
many of us. It's to easy for the anti-Ada people to show how much more it
costs to use Ada, at least in terms of startup and short term views.

Ada is the solution for long term projects that have to work, the problem
that I see is that very few people want to take the long view. And is long
term a year, two, ten??? There is to much focus on doing it quick and cheap
because it looks good on this quarter's financial report.

John T Apa                              [log in to unmask]
L-3 CSW                                 (801) 594-3382
PO Box 16850                            Fax: (801) 594-2195
640 North 2200 West                     Salt Lake City, UT. 84116-0850