Re: "OS in Ada" project promoting Ada

"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>

Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.

Thu, 18 Nov 1999 22:40:56 -0800

From: Bob Leif
To: Nick Roberts et al.
I suggest that you look at Ada's (the language) grandfather's latest
creation: Niklaus Wirth and Jurg Gutknecht, "Project Oberon, The Design of
an Operating System and Compiler," Addison-Wesley-ACM Press, 1992 ISBN
0-201-54428-8. The overall structure appears to be sound and this was done
by a small group. Although, I have not actually used the Oberon operating
system, I suspect it is probably more reliable than Windows 98 etc.

I believe that a Linux with an Ada core, and an XML based GUI would be a
commercially viable product. PLEASE, if at all possible, absolutely minimize
the use of assembler. I would gladly trade-off performance for reliability
and compatibility with Ada real-time constructs. If Lockheed will ever
release Michael Card's object-relational database (FIRM) which is written in
Ada, you should be able to build a very advanced file system.

One of my goals for the SIGAda '99 Commercializing Ada Workshop was to
demonstrate the feasibility of creating a very advanced, Ada based operating
system. The use of XML-HTML is an effective way to break the Microsoft
monopoly. Printers and graphics boards could be programmed to directly
execute XML.

Amusingly, an Ada based operating system could be of significant use to
Ada's former patron, the US Defense Department. Besides, the often repeated
software engineering benefits of the separation of specification and body,
it should be possible for a customer to limit the encryption algorithms to
one or a few bodies. This way, even the operating system developers do not
have to know the security protection mechanisms.