Re: What the competition looks like

"Richard L. Conn" <[log in to unmask]>

Richard L. Conn

Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:19:55 -0500

Hi, William,

Sounds like a totally different culture to me.
But not surprising ... I've heard similar things
thru the Software Subcouncil.  Lockheed Martin
is one company by name, but many companies by
culture.  Buying a company does not necessarily
change its culture overnight (or may ever change
its culture, for that matter).

I absolutely believe you when you describe your
culture, but I still don't think fighting Microsoft
is the way to go.  One thing that is filtering down
is a thrust to go to CMM Level 5.  I'm part of that
at LMAS (we are currently shooting for Level 4).
It's getting harder to get to the higher levels than
it was because the SEI is starting to figure out how
to give the test (CBA IPI, SCA, etc) and put real
meaning behind it.  The CMM is far from perfect (I
don't want to even begin to go into that controversy),
but in my culture at LMAS I've found that it is having
a positive effect by making management become more
involved in software (especially senior management),
giving them measurements to look at about defect
density, productivity, and defect injection and
detection, and making them ask why things are the
way they are and what can be done to improve them.
Weekly analysis and corrective action meetings are
becoming a way of life, and in trying to answer those
questions, the languages emerge as an issue (such as
when we can say that "C++ lets our programmers inject
this defect but Ada doesn't").  Suddenly things start
to look different to management.  That's good.

It's not an answer immediately, but if you are ready
when the question comes up, it may be possible to make
a difference.

It's good to have opinions, isn't it?
Rick
Richard Conn, ASE and PAL Manager