TEAM-ADA  December 1999

TEAM-ADA December 1999

Re: Ada server, was Re: What the competition looks like

Scott Moody <[log in to unmask]>

Scott Moody <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Dec 1999 21:49:30 +0000

I think people are overlooking some other bigger competitors
in the web world, one which we can partially incorporate
and another that we could totally incorporate. These
are Java and its vast collection of web capabilities
(from all the url stream connections, to html rendoring, etc)
 - which JGNAT will help with,
and the other is XML - which is starting to be big
in communicating between web entities (servers or clients)
and using https or http to get through firewalls, etc. (see
http://www.xml.org)

  At present, there are no full XML/DOM parsers written in
Ada (that I know of). There are some "C" ones, and lots
of Java ones. Also the http://java.apache.org site is looking
at these issues of open-source.  This situation makes Ada programmers
at a very distinct disadvantage in XML and therefore Web
programming. Sure this will be available when using JGNAT
but not for native users of Ada - and most equilivent
code in Java won't be embedded as applets.

  Also, no internet projects that I know of that handle
high speed, high demand issues are dealing with CGI at all.

A couple good resources to check out:

"XML and Java"
    http://pws.prserv.net/Hiroshi.Maruyama/xmlbook/
and the
"XML Specification Guide"
    http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/xmlbook/index.html

XML and DOM would be great projects if people are looking at
new uses of Ada. Even providing a portable Ada binding to
the "C" parsers would help.

-scott

ps.
I wrote up some of these Ada/Internet issues
in a paper this past fall:
   http://WhiteRiverRanch.com/papers/adafrance99.pdf