Re: What the competition looks like

"Richard L. Conn" <[log in to unmask]>

Richard L. Conn

Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:35:36 -0500

Hi, Jim,

I was not aware of the cutoff for the Hope Scholarship.
I really can't explain the high dropout rate then.
My role is as an Adjunct, so I'm out of the loop on
student selection.

What's interesting is that the range is so wide.
While I'm observing a 50% failure rate, I also have
students with a current grade of 120% (I offer extra
credit exercises, and some do them all).  They are
all over the place on their grades.

I haven't seen any arguments to convince me that VB
is not right for this climate or the need to make
learning fun is not justified.  Both work effectively.

The PITAC report I spoke of the other day speaks of
Component-based Software Engineering.  That's where I
see VB fitting in like a glove, and that's were I see
Ada lacking.  The VB GUI is not just buttons and text
boxes (THAT was the first day).  It is also dynamic
list boxes (a form of linked list without the pointers),
drive list boxes and directory list boxes and file list
boxes which combine to allow you to navigate a file
system without programming any system calls, the chart
control which allows you to configure and draw 16 kinds
of charts (bar, XY, line, area, pie, both 2D and 3D, etc)
without worrying about manipulating pixels, the common
dialog control which allows for 6 common program needs
(open a file, save/create a file, select a printer,
select a font, select a color, and invoke online help)
with almost no effort, and so on.  The standard packages
in Ada95 are very good, but no where near this level of
abstraction.  Assuming the components are reliable
(which they seem to be), you can put together massive
applications with very few lines of code.  They work the
first time (in my experience) and you are done and ready
to move on.  The Web Browser I wrote in 1 hour on a
Sunday morning was part of what made me trigger my first
message.

The domain engineering which went into VB really shows.
We see the five target domains clearly: Windows OS
interfacing, GUI development, data manipulation,
OS-based device control, and communications in general
(and web in particular).  The VB controls
operate at such a high
level of abstraction that you don't have to worry about
the low-level details and can concentrate on the problem.
Ada was a significant step in the right direction, but
VB is a much bigger step.  Ada could be there as well
(there's no technical reason why these highly abstract
component features cannot be added), but the cost of
such an effort would be really significant.

Component-based SE is a PITAC goal for the future.

Well, that's the last 21 message responses in a nutshell.

Another opinion,
Rick
Richard Conn, ASE and PAL Manager
http://xenadu.home.mindspring.com/