Re: What the competition looks like

"Richard L. Conn" <[log in to unmask]>

Richard L. Conn

Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:11:57 -0500

Hi, Stan,

I agree with your words about real-time.  Ada
certainly has a place there, altho it is a target
to other languages as well.  I have a video tape
from Sun's Sunergy teleconference in 1995 where they
introduced Java, and they clearly designed it originally
for embedded, at least quasi-real-time applications
originally and later adapted it to web applications
when they saw the in-road.  Microsoft is also hitting
quasi-real-time with Windows CE, as is evidenced by
its contracts for entertainment systems on airplanes
and in home cable TV boxes (I've heard that Windows CE
may soon be in as many as 1/3 of the cable TV boxes
in the US).  Visual Basic and Visual C++ target to
Windows CE.  I suspect Visual J++ (Microsoft's Java)
will be there soon as well if it is not already.

I still think Ada has an in-road in real-time because
of what I view as the quasi-real-time nature of the Java
and Windows CE environments.  Pausing for a few seconds
every now and then for garbage collection is not a good
thing in hard real-time systems.  But Sun and Microsoft
know this, and it's just a matter of time before they
address it one way or the other.  Right now, Sun has
a disclaimer in the Java license.  We cannot assume
this will always be there.  But, then again, Sun and
Microsoft may or may not be interested in the real-time
markets.  After all, they have shown time and again
that they are in it for the money, as companies should
be.  Selling millions of compilers for web-based
development kind of outweighs selling one compiler to
a team of 75 software developers who use cheaper, non-
real-time compilers for initial development followed
by the real-time compiler for the production build.

We need to be practical when it comes to the limited
resources in our community.  That's what I'm saying.
If someone wants to forge out, do research, and build
in a new direction, more power to them.  I hope they
make it.  But for every star on broadway who made it,
there are thousands of aspiring actors who did not.
The Man of LaMancha had a beautiful dream, but the
windmill still won.  Ada's already won in some areas ...
let's keep it that way if we can.

Rick
Richard Conn, ASE and PAL Manager
http://xenadu.home.mindspring.com/