TEAM-ADA  December 1999

TEAM-ADA December 1999

SIGAda DC Meeting Announcement

Jeff Castellow <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Dec 1999 01:20:31 -0500

To Members and Friends of DC SIGAda

Next Meeting:

DC SIGAda SIGAda will feature a presentation titled "Introduction to Web Technologies for Effective Dissemination of Information - Part I." Part I is an Introduction to the HyperText Markup Language and the Extensible Markup Language (XML). The presentation will be on Thursday, 9 December 1999, 7:30 P.M. (Refreshments and Social at 7:00 P.M.) at the Lockhead Martin Corporation in Rockville, Maryland

Abstract:

This presentation is based on the tutorial given at SIGAda'98 and SIGAda'99
by Currie Colket, Brad Balfour, Clyde Roby, and John McCormick
and augmented by David Wheeler on the Ada95 binding to the CGI

The original tutorial was oriented towards providing the basic information to disseminate information effectively using the World Wide Web for SIGAda volunteers. The tutorial addresses the use of HTML for developing web pages, incorporation of graphics, effective designs for web pages, and using FTP and other automated tools (both UNIX and PC-based) to streamline the dissemination process. Strategies for announcements, configuration management, mailing lists, and databases are addressed. The ACM host machine will be used as a model. Although this tutorial is specifically designed to support the needs of SIGAda Working Groups and SIGAda Chapters, the information will be useful to all interested in learning how to set up a WWW home page. ACM SIGAda members interested are welcome to volunteer as webmaster for SIGAda pages on the ACM machine.

For the DC SIGAda presentation, this will be broken down into 3 parts:
  Part I: Introduction to HTML and XML
  Part II: Ada Binding to the Common Gateway Interface (CGI) to
               Process HTML Forms
  Part III: Effective Design Strategies Appropriate to Disseminating Information
               and Tools to Manage Development of Web Pages

Part I is scheduled for 9 December 1999; Either Part II or Part III will be presented for Thursday, 10 February. The remaining part will be presented in early 2000. Parts I, II, and III are rather independent. Part I will introduce the HTML Form, providing a background for the use of Ada95 and the Ada Binding to the CGI for processing HTML forms.

Part I Presenter:

Mr. Currie Colket is the Vice Chair of ACM SIGAda for Meetings and Conferences, the Chair of the SIGAda Ada Semantic Working Group, and Chair of the ISO WG9 ASIS Rapporteur Group.

He recently retired from the DoD where he served in the Air Force as an Airborne Surveillance Officer on AWACS and a computer scientist for the United States Navy.

Mr. Colket is currently a software systems engineer for MITRE. Prior to his affiliation with MITRE, he was a consultant for the Software Program Manager's Network (SPMN). He has a Bachelor of Science from Case Institute of Technology, a Master of Business Administration from the University of Southern Mississippi and a Master of Science in Computer Science from the Ohio State University.

His coordinates are:

          Mr. Currie Colket
          Software Systems Engineer
          The MITRE Corporation
          1820 Dolley Madison Boulevard
          McLean, VA 22101-3481
          Phone: (703) 883-7381; FAX: (703) 883-1339
          Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

Venue/Directions

     Lockhead Martin Corporation
     9211 Corporate Boulevard
     Rockville, Maryland 20874

Directions:

     From all points: Get to I-270 West from the I-495 Beltway,
        1.Take I-270 West to Shady Grove Exit;
        2.Turn left at light;
        3.Turn right on Corporate Dr (at light);
        4.Turn right at end of access road (can only turn left or right);
        5.Go to end of driveway.
        6.The building for the meeting is on the right, opposite
            the open courtyard area. It is building#9211,
           as marked. Parking lots are on the left and right.
        7.Enter main lobby. Stop at guard desk to check in.
     Also, to obtain a map of the location, visit Mapquest, select
     Driving Directions for the destination
     address: "9211 Corporate Drive, Rockville, Md."

DC SIGAda Home Page

Please visit the the DC SIGAda Web site at http://www.acm.org/sigada/locals/dc/

Please provide suggestions on the Web site and its contents. Comments will be heeded as intelligently as they are sincerely offered! Provide feedback via the DC SIGAda Web site.

Business:

We will have light foods and refreshment at 7:00. The meeting begins at 7:30 pm.

Please note, at present, a consolidation effort is being made between various DC SIGAda mailing list sources. Please be advised that some e-mailings may occur more than once. We are moving to a single maillist hosted on the ACM machine. It will eventually have the [log in to unmask] address.

Topics for talks are welcome. Please make suggestions for topics. Some suggested topics:

     Ada In 2000
     Ada Standardization Issues
     Ada and CORBA
     Ada and the WWW

Many thanks to all earlier participants, contributors, speakers, advisors, and friends, who are involved in helping to produce and attend the meetings.

Please forward this message to people who might be interested in attending. We welcome all new members as our attendance and interests grow.

Consider registering for inclusion on our e-mail list. Registration instructions are provided on the DC SIGAda Web site.

Jeff Castellow, Vice Chair (Acting Chair), DC SIGAda