Re: Rational A.5 Command Line and HTML

"Richard L. Conn" <[log in to unmask]>

Richard L. Conn

Wed, 8 Dec 1999 20:22:25 -0500

Hi, David,

I did not mean to imply that you should always use
POST and never use GET, but, rather, I have found
POST to be the better choice in most situations.
I currently use it exclusively.

O'Reilly's "HTML: The Definitive Guide" on page 326,
section 10.2.4.1 "POST or GET?" we have the following
tradeoffs:
  "* For best form-transmission performance, send small
forms with a few short fields via the GET method."
  "* Because some server operating systems limit the
number and length of command-line arguments that can
be passed to an application at once, use the POST
method to send forms that have many fields or that
have long text fields."
 [The last bullet was my argument in the message below]
  "* If you are inexperience in writing server-side
form-processing applications, choose GET.  The extra
steps involved in reading and decoding POST-style
transmitted parameters, while not too difficult, may
be more than you are willing to tackle."
  "* If security is an issue, choose POST.  GET places
the form parameters directly in the application URL
where they easily can be captured by network sniffers
or extracted from a server log file.  If the parameters
contain sensitive information like credit card numbers,
you may be compromising your users without their
knowledge.  While POST applications are not without
their security holes, they can at least take advantage
of encryption when transmitting the parameters as a
separate transaction with the server."
  "* If you want to invoke the server-side application
outside of the realm of a form, including passing it
parameters, use GET because it lets you include form-like
parameters as part of a URL.  POST-style applications,
on the other hand, expect an extra transmission from
the browser after the URL, something you can't do as
part of a conventional <a> tag."
  [The bullet above was your argument]

Not bad advice.

I agree with your recommendation about first learning
about CGI, especially if you are working with Ada
data servers.  However, from my point of view, all
the languages are equally viable for implementing
data servers.  Using POST, you just need the ability
to handle stdin and strings.  Using GET, you just need
the ability to access command lines and handle strings.
However, from a CMM Level 4 perspective, Ada clearly
wins because of its ability to detect more defects during
compilation.  It also wins on occasion due to its
portability, altho at a simple level, C is fine for
portability also.

Rick
Richard Conn, ASE and PAL Manager
http://xenadu.home.mindspring.com/