CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
"Kevin W. Bishop" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin W. Bishop
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 13:46:33 -0400
I have a question/comment regarding the money in the UIE methodology ...

>I think that what you found is
>1. that impulse buys are generally not special sale/promotional
>    items--when people are not actually spending their own money,
>    that is. (It would be nice to KNOW if spending your own
>    money makes a difference in that regard.)

This is a good question.  But at the same time, wouldn't a study which has
people spend their own money also introduce a myriad of complex, personal
and financial realities that would inevitably escape the study's scope?

In other words, if my six subjects were to spend their own money in this
exercise, and they were equally divided between wage workers and salaried
employees, a few had children to support, others had addictions, some were
skilled at balancing their checkbook, others not, etc., etc., ... doesn't
this complicate the study to a point where conclusions (no matter how
inconclusive) are patently impossible to draw?

Pardon me if my inexperience with the design of usability studies has posed
a naive question.

Thanks.
-kb

Kevin W. Bishop, Campus-Wide Info. Sys. Coord.
Libraries and Information Services
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
<[log in to unmask]> | <http://www.rpi.edu/rpinfo/>

       Tip of the Day: Don't use automated replies to postings
        About CHI-WEB: http://www.sigchi.org/web/chi-web.html