CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:52:11 +0530
Hi folks,

Thanks to all ye kind folks who responded to my query on references for
Color standards in GUIs. We've been having trouble lately on this touchy,
often subjective (but not any more!) issue. I've compiled the replies into
a concise summary; hope it isn't too long.

http://www.clickz.com/sales/traffic/article.php/1364301
The site has business-like hard-headed views on the practical use of color
in websites. It emphasizes that color as an element of persuasion goes a
long way in attracting/retaining customers to a site. An interesting note
on the use of color for buttons at amazon.com. As also a valuable tip in
restraint - Begin by removing color in the design - if it works, then you
can imagine what color can do to it later!

http://www.colorassociation.com
A color forecasting service in the US. (Boy, never knew such a thing
existed until now). The body provides color forecasting service in areas
such as Interiors/Women's color/Men's color/Children's color. Membership
to the association entitles one to many benefits such as library, color
reports etc. They also have a free e-bulletin 'Colorful'.

http://colorfilter.wickline.org/
Here's a site that converts any url into an image as seen by a color blind
user. Checked it out with our corporate site, and were the results
revealing! The way it works is, you point to a website and choose a color
filter (protanopia/deutanopia/tritanopia etc. - various forms of color
blindness) to be applied. The tools fetches the page as an image which
shows the potential problem areas. They do have a 'Colorblind Colorlab'
that helps to select 'safe' colors earlier in the design process.

Was recommended a book 'Color for Websites: Digital Media Design' by Molly
Holzschlag, published 2001. It recognizes color as a crucial ingredient of
website design - from attracting potential surfers to stop and look,
through more complex navigational requirements to interesting perspectives
on cultural meanings of colors - the book is well recommended for students
and practising designers.

Thanks Fredy for all the information and the useful links.

A technical report 'The impact of webpage text-background color
combinations on readability, retention, aesthetics, and behavioral
intention' covers aspects of research on color and an experiment run by
Richard Hall, of the University of Missouri - Rolla. Thanks Richard. The
PDF document makes for detailed and interesting reading.
Do check it out at -
http://campus.umr.edu/lite/tech_reports/LITE-2003-04.pdf

An article on this is also available at -
http://www.webdesignstuff.org/commentaries/03_11_03_color_readability.php
It squarely address this issue of 'When is the color combination
unreadable to most people, and how can we 'officially' know without simply
relying on our judgement?' Also debunks myths propagated by web gurus on
readable text, acceptable color contrasts. Makes for interesting reading.

http://www.worqx.com/color/resources.htm
The Worqx site has a wealth of resources on Color theory and color choices
that we make. Thanks Laurie for all the references. You're right, there is
lots of information out there to take the guesswork out of good judgement.
And if we can point to research, clients would only be too happy to accept
the hard nosed statistics.

Thanks Nick, for your observation that red-green color blindness is a real
cause of concern while choosing colors. I agree that high contrast between
text and background is needed for maximum visibility. For the benefit of
readers, a study undertaken a while ago showed that the best contrast
between text and background was provided by two different shades of blue !

Once again, thanks everyone.
sincerely

Manoj
Design consultant