CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Jeff Volzer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Volzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:56:07 -0400
Nick,

Sounds like you're taking the right approaches and doing the best you
can. One suggestion I'd add: at a past company, when things were working
right, we used to have use case workshops with the client. This ideally
was after collecting primary user research (or developing personas) and
involved a business analyst, system architect, and info architect (or
interaction designer, UX lead, etc.). As the business analyst was
fleshing out use cases, the information architect was developing "page
flows" which then led to "page schematics" (or wireframes, or
storyboards). The page flows took the place of a sitemap and ideally
matched 1:1 to the use cases. The important part was not so much the
output, however, as the conversations in the workshops. If possible for
you, providing input into use case development based on user research
that early on is priceless.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Jeff Volzer | netNumina |  Information Architect | w: 617.575.8172 | c:
617.306.7610