CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
"Hynes, Colin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hynes, Colin
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 10:33:53 -0400
Even though the report is not meant to be a "When do users Search versus
Browse?" I kept wondering how the specificity of the list items contributed
to the user's Search vs. Browse and impulse buying behavior.

For example, the report mentions that "most shoppers on PCConnection.com
went straight for the search engine." However, if those users were looking
for a 10ft VGA/SVGA Monitor Extension Cable (HDDB15), search may have been
the most efficient option for them even if the browse links were prominent
and intuitive (which I agree they are not).

Many users come to our web site with a list of items numbers in hand. They
go directly to the search area and start typing away. Or they go to Quick
Order by Item Number where they can type in multiple item numbers. We have
seen this behavior time and time again in testing whether the user was
looking for Item #12345 or a HP DeskJet 710C.

Assuming that your research about impulse buying is correct we would love to
be able to turn those searchers into browsers while not adding undue effort
to the in-a-rush user. Based on that I'm wondering:

1. What were your observations of how specific list items ("I want an HP
DeskJet 710C printer) versus a general items ("I want a pink sweater.")
contribute to user's Browse vs. Search and impulse buying behavior?

2. If our "specific searcher" research holds true, how does the designer
drive users looking for specific items to browse instead of search? Should
we "dis-incent" them to search by somehow making search less prominent
(e.g., not on homepage but on subsequent pages)? That seems very counter to
everything we preach on this list. However, an ecommerce site is first and
foremost a business, and an increase in average order speaks loudly as well.
Does that increase in average order mitigate the loss of customers due to
increased effort?

Thoughts?

Colin

Colin Hynes | Director of Site Usability | Staples.com | p. 508.253.0962 |
f. 508.253.9040

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html