Personas summary (very long)

Kayla Block <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:38:49 -0700

Whew! Many replies to this thread so I have my work cut out for me gluing
them all together! (I think this approach is sort of unwieldy. It seems like
summary requests that are likely to get many replies might be better sent to
the list as separate emails).

Kayla, yes, I use personas extensively.  We use them to guide our initial
design decisions and then to test our designs cognitively ("OK, I'm now
Janice; how would I think here?").  I also find it helps prevent the elastic
user concept from getting too entrenched among the development team,
although I haven't had the success Cooper has in selling personas to
programmers.  That is, some programmers have been much more receptive to the
use of personas than others.

--Lauren

======
We use personae and scenarios in our process.

Our personae are much like what you describe. In the end they typically
consist of a name, age, profession, a photograph, 4-5 paragraphs of text and
5-10 goals they have for the site. Goals are reasons for them coming to the
site expressed in their words.

Scenarios are 4-5 paragraphs written to describe the experience of a persona
solving one of their goals. Some people in our groups in Rare refer to
scenarios as behavioral use case studies and handle them in outline form
rather than paragraphs. I find paragraphs to be more compelling and
creative. Either way we are telling the story of how the persona will
experience the site.

Both personae and scenarios are written as much as possible as a
collaboration between researchers and designers. Often personae will be
supported with prototypical stories heard during user interviews and other
types of research.

Using the scenarios, it is easier to identify features that will be
desirable to our users and construct process diagrams and page
specifications that will support their success.

I wrote a short paper on narrative scenarios as a design tool a while ago
and you can find it on my site at
http://www.davidbliss.com/index.asp?unique_id=232

I hope you find this useful.
-dave

=======
I have used Personas at my last engagement. My coworker (another
desiger) and myself read the appropriate chapters
in Inmates and decided we wanted to follow that process in
our six-person Internet startup. As I'm sure you hear from
many others, we didn't take as far as we could, but it helped
as much as we applied it.

We created 16 or so potential personas based on interviews with
other employees in the company and people we were in contact
with in the real world that could have been potential users of
our site. We then refined them a bit, shared all of them with
all the employees and put them into three categories: design
for them in v1, v2, or never. We were trying to use the
persona's to focus our efforts and to help us develop a better
vision for our product and the needs we were serving.

We then took the ones we voted for v1 and found similarities and
narrowed them down into two personas. We used them when we were
discussing and imagining how our product would work. Overall
personas helped us focus our efforts and move things forward.
We didn't stick to them throughout because when push came to
shove the developers, nor management, were willing to risk their
uncertainty on personas. They fell back to doing things the old
way, the way they knew would produce results (mediocre ones as
always). :)

I recently wrote an epinion of the book:
http://elan.epinions.com/book-review-5E07-D4A22C4-396B7505-prod2
<some stuff snipped at the poster's request>

===============
William Hudson (moderator extraordinaire) ;->

I don't know if you remember my user-centred techniques survey, but 20.4% of
respondents reported using Alan Cooper's personas. Full results below (93
respondents).

informal usability testing                              93.5%
user analysis/profiling                                 89.2%
evaluate existing system                                88.2%
low-fidelity (e.g. paper) prototyping                   84.9%
expert (heuristic) usability evaluation                 83.9%
task identification                                     82.8%
navigation design
78.5%
scenarios of use
76.3%
set usability requirements                              74.2%
visual interface design                                 74.2%
use of style guides                                     67.7%
formal (e.g. quantitative) usability testing            67.7%
stakeholder meeting                                     66.7%
comprehensive (e.g. hierarchical) task analysis         64.5%
user's conceptual models (of the problem domain)        60.2%
Contextual Analysis                                     59.1%
usability checklists                                    58.1%
set quantitative usability goals                        58.1%
attitude questionnaires                                 54.8%
usability surveys
50.5%
use case analysis
48.4%
Essential Use Cases (Constantine and Lockwood)          21.5%
Personas (Alan Cooper)                                  20.4%
Usage-centered design                                   11.8%
Other methods (in house)                                10.8%
focus groups                                             8.6%
LUCID                                                    7.5%
observations                                             6.5%
user interviews                                          3.2%
competitive analysis                                     3.2%
storyboards                                              2.2%
cognitive walkthrough (with team)                        2.2%
usability walkthroughs (with team)                       2.2%
OVID                                                     2.2%
GUIDE                                                    2.2%
ISO 13407                                                2.2%

============
Lynn Ferguson
Lante Corporation doesn't use Personas "heavily" like Cooper Interactive but
we
(the User Research group) do go out into the field first and do ethnographic
observations and interviews in the users own environments and then come back
and
construct a "User Profile" that consists of building  a set of
"Characteristics"
and "Needs & Wants" that are based on users desires (that come from both
spoken
and unspoken needs) from the observations and interviews.
Also, "Scenarios" then can be constructed from the above information that
ties
into "Real User Experiences & Needs/Wants".
We look at "What User's Do", "Say", and "Think" to create a User Profile
that
could incorporate information from several types of users(we look for
commonalities in the data) into one that leads to recommended or potential
products & features.

This helps to minimize writing features and functions into scenarios that do
not
necessarily reflect the user's true needs & wants.
And it leaves a footprint of where we've been and how we got to where we are
now
should the client want to know.
(This process can also  be used to educate new Lante employees into Lante's
working methods as well as to take new potential client's through how
Lante works through a problem using User Centered Design as we find that
showing
is much more powerful than trying to talk the story.
Clients want real tangible proof that these methods have worked in previous
"Real Working" jobs.

It also shows clients the difference between "Marketing Research" (which is
Quantitative:"Tells You How Many" and Strategic in nature) from User
Centered
Research (which is more Qualitative "Tells You Why" and User Centered in
nature).

Regards,
Lynne

==========
Karen Young

I've worked with personas a little -- I read Cooper's book about a year ago.
My team was not open to the idea to I couldn't take it as far as I wanted,
but here's what I did. They really just didn't understand what the heck I
was doing :-)

I chose 6 personas and created a grid chart with each persona as a row. Then
I put relavant details about each persona across the top--things like 1)
immediate need for coming to the site, 2) technology knowledge -- I was
trying to get at comfort with technology, 3) would there be a need to return
to the site and why, etc. I learned a ton from this process -- basically, it
was clear to me that 2 or 3 of the personas were quite similar in their
needs, understanding, etc. Cooper suggests limiting the number of personas
you are designing for and it was very cool to see how we could create one
persona for those 2 or 3 people, if necessary.

One of the personas was a "Joe Public" type and it was also very clear to me
how this person really was NOT who we were after once I put him on the
chart. Given that management had said the site should be for everybody, this
made it possible to effectively debate that and figure out what was really
meant by "everybody". It was more along the lines of "everybody that we care
about" and we really didn't care about Joe Public for this site.

Cooper of course takes the whole process much further than I did and has a
much greater impact on the design than I did, but there was still lots of
value. If I'd stayed with the team, I would have continued using the process
on each project and probably gotten everyone on board while having better
results with each design.

Recently I discussed Cooper's work and Hackos/Redish's work in a
presentation about defining and understanding user needs in site
development. I got the sense that the information was incredibly new and
that we all have to be patient and persistent to get others to see the value
of these tools and techniques.

Cheers,
Karyn

===========
Ben Clemens

Rare Medium uses 'em.

We start with user research studies, then try to distill the studies into
4-7 personae descriptions. Each persona is a high-level summary of goals for
the use of a product, with appropriate biographical information for feel. We
don't create one persona per market segment or ethnographic group, but try
to make them a complete representation of the functionally different ways
one could use the product.

best,

Ben

======
Jim Webb

I've only used personas a few times, mostly on large projects, and
even though they were really great at helping team members have a
unified, user-centered vision, we aren't experienced or comfortable
enough yet to use them with clients as tools to defend against scope
creep. We only superficially showed them to our higher-level
managers, too, for the same reason.

My feeling is that we don't know enough about creating and
interpreting personas to be able to defend them against stubborn
clients. Because personas aren't based on quantitative data, most MBA
types would just dismiss them as web-head eccentricities. Not sure
whether more experimentation and research will help, and I have no
idea how other companies are putting personas into real-world client
practice.

Thanks for asking; I'm interested to see your summary.

- Jim Webb, nationalgeographic.com

========
Melinda Morris-Black

I've been brought in to redesign our organization's web site. One of the
techniques I employ is the use of user scenarios. We flesh out a character
and
assign her or him certain goals to accomplish on our site. We have even
added a
character that is blind. It serves as a constant reminder to our development
team and marketing team to consider the needs of the disabled. So far, it
has
proven useful in building awareness with a team unaccustomed to user
centered
processes.

In the past at other companies I've worked for, we actually cut pages out of
magazines that matched our characters. We hung them up to surround ourselves
with our users. Team members would point to "Suzie" and say "She wouldn't
understand this". It was a great way to keep everyone focused and aware of
our
audience.

I hope this is what you were referring to with personas. Semantics may just
be
slightly different, I think. :-)

--
Regards,

MELINDA MORRIS-BLACK
Information Architect
Information Network of Kansas

========
Lynne Ferguson

Are you aware of Alan Cooper's, "The Inmates Are Running The Asylum"?
(Chapter 9 deals with Personas).
"The Inmates Are Running The Asylum" (Chapter 9) uses "Virgin Atlantic" T.V.
screen on the back of airline passenger seats as an
example when defining how Personas helped develop a project that had to
consider
not just one user but 4 distinctly different users
ranging from a "Super High Tech Savvy" User, a Student who was"Tech Savvy"
and a
Grandmother who was "No Tech Savvy".

+

The User Interface 2000 conference in San Francisco last April had a great
presentation
by a employee from Cooper Interactive (Kim Goodwin) who detailed out how
they
set  up and use Personas.
You might be able to purchase the great notes from that session from UI
(Jarod
Spool) as the notes have each slide that was
presented during the session and give you a pretty good idea of how Copper
Interactive develops Personas.

I work at Lante Corporation (an e-commerce company) and we have used
Personas to
develop "User Profiles" for a certain
market or web site and find that Personas help get you the
"Characteristics",
"Needs & Wants" of a user.

======
David Gilmore ([log in to unmask])

heck out Applied ergonomics volume 31 (2000) pp 151-157 where there is a
paper by my colleagues Jane Fulton Suri and Matt Marsh on scenario building
in consumer product design.

At IDEO we use the term scenario rather than persona - because the person is
just one piece of the scenario (the context and the activities are the
rest). The personas need to be convincing (in our work they are nearly
always based on real people we have met for the project).

I can tell you more if you need it - but have to rush right now.

David Gilmore

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html