Storyboarding summary

Kayla Block <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:22:05 -0700

There seems to be a huge diversity of opinions about what storyboarding is
and how to do it or why you would even want to do it. In the time that I've
been working in ui, I've found that different companys have different
deliverables preferences. In some companys, the final hand off was just an
html prototype with no real back end behind it. In other places, a
Powerpoint document with screen shots and descriptions of functionality was
what they wanted. Other places want detailed screen flow diagrams with
decision trees and screen shots.

Storyboarding still seems like a technique that is a lot of work and may not
offer enough bang for the buck to make it worthwhile. But then again, I'm
not thinking sketches -- I'm thinking columns with interactions, decision
trees, and screen shots. But maybe I'm still missing something.

I work in software applications (mostly web) and haven't worked on web sites
in many years. So now, in addition to my storyboard question, I'm wondering
what other people hand off as final deliverables? I will once again, collect
and summarize -- so reply to me offlist.

Kayla

=================
Hey, Kayla. Before I became a user interface designer (long before), I was a
filmmaker and TV producer, and it was in that other life that I learned how
to storyboard.

Basically, a storyboard is a sequence of sketches in same-size rectangles
(representing the screen, in the appropriate aspect ratio) that indicates
the key placement and movement of elements on the screen. Below each
rectangle are a few lines of text indicating what is going on.

Sometimes the rects are in two columns, sometimes they are in a single
column.

The point is to get a feel for how a sequence flows, how it segues into the
next sequence, how long the sequence should run, where you are going to need
to put the camera, which actors you are going to need, etc. It's a planning
device.

Later, when I got into UI design, I started rolling in techniques and
symbols from flowcharts and state-transition diagrams, so the rects starting
getting connected by arrows, and I started inserting diamonds (for decision
points, branching) between the rects.

I hope this helps.

 j o s    a r c e l l a n a

==============

Hey Kayla,
Love your posts- some great bits of insight for us beginners. As for
storyboarding, I'd recommend Labyrinths: The Art of Interactive Writing and
Design. It gives a nice broad overview of the whole content development
process, as well as a brief history of multimedia. It's examples are a mix
of CD-ROM and websites, but the models of production and interactivity used
for CD-ROMs have served me well (I'm creating an online study skills
course). Hope this helps.

Chad Thornton
Achieva.com

============

I have used storyboarding ever since college when I was studying film &
video. I have found that it is the an easy way to complete page layouts
without having to program or create in photoshop the site appearance.
(Plus it saves time--especially in the early planning stages when design
and flow decisions are just being made.)

A bonus of storyboards is that they can be very helpful in the planning the
usability of the site. The users can see if the navigational structure is
working for them, long before the actual programming.  (Usually involves a
paperwalk--where you place all your boards on a wall and step through them
with users to validate the usability of the site.)

Plus it also begins the paper trail for sign-off, so there is no confusion
during the design cycle.

As for the design, I usually like to draw the elements so they will look
similar to the elements on the site. I know others who simply draw boxes as
space holders. Both work equally well. I think that the design of your
elements is completely up to you and your artistic capabilities.

Hope this helps,

Amy Belanger

Senior Media Designer
Kohl's Department Stores

=================

Interesting question-- I'm assuming you're not after the more traditional
forms of storyboarding used in film/tv production.

I was first introduced to the notion of "storyboards" in the context of
instructional website development a couple of years ago. Initially, I was
given some storyboards that were done by another person at the company. They
were more or less as you would expect a storyboard to be, with crude
graphical representations of what was on the screen, text to appear on the
page, etc. There was also a list of links that were to be on the page.

Unfortunately, there were some big problems with those storyboards. First,
they locked the designer into roughly the 4x3 dimensions of the monitor--
there was no allowance for scrolling. There was also too much information on
it, making it difficult for our designers (let alone the clients) to follow.
The biggest problem I had though, was that the whole thing was wrapped up in
an MS Word file, which made it cumbersome to work with-- adding text was
semi-tedious at best, and adding pictures was a pain in the butt. To top it
off, our clients complained that what we were giving them weren't
storyboards at all (there may have been a lack of client education here, but
I think they also had a point).

So...I reworked the storyboard design into something a little more
functional. I simplified the layout, and provided space for a description of
whatever graphical treatment there was supposed to be, without requiring the
actual graphics themselves. Essentially what was left was a set of
specifications for identifying the page, and links to different pages. There
were then three different places to write out a description of the page- one
for graphics, one for text, and one for other notes. The whole thing is
organized in a simple table in Word that _is_ easily editable. (I've got a
variation on the format I'm describing if you'd like to see it.)

Of course, this now looked _nothing_ like a storyboard, so we changed the
name to "blueprints"-- I've seen both terms describing pretty much the same
thing, though.

As a side note, I should say that I've had mixed results with the blueprints
format. As a production tool it's been fantastic, because it provides a
common tool that can be used from design through development and even into
QA. As a client communication tool it's got some flaws, however. The main
problem is the lack of graphics, as clients aren't always able to visualize
what's being described on the page. I find that I need to provide a couple
examples of page layout/illustration/functionality to make that a little
more clear.

Hope that helps...

Jason

--

Jason Orrill
Instructional Designer

=================

We generally only do storyboards for Flash pieces and mockups for Web sites.

...Ross...

===============

STORYBOARDING
In the most simple sense:
1) Cinema storyboarding attempts to present a chronographic series of events
(things that don't all happen at one point in time -- but rather over time),
on one wall a one time so that a director can explain his/her intentions.
The storyboard becomes a communication tool & a base for creating revisions.

2) On the Web storyboarding can take many forms, but just as with Cinema the
end users doesn't see all the frames/scenes/pages at the same time.  And yet
the director (Web Producer/UI designer) must conceive of the user-flow in
terms of the whole experience.  Therefore, a site tree; or a click-able site
map, or a wall covered with page printouts serves as a storyboard.  Because
the web is non-linear & cinema is not (usually), our Web storyboard must
incorporate decision trees (ie, if User A is registered they go to page
"26", if they are not register they go to page "11").  Just put the pages on
the wall & look at them.

-Peter

==============

I've used storyboarding in light weight, cheap ways. During prototyping,
I'll block out key sequences of interaction, that acts almost like a
cognitive walkthrough of the design. It can be a simple as a set of
sketches, or screenshots, or I'll go further and make it into a weak
prototype.  With HTML, Director, Flash, the line between a static set of
storyboards, and adding some functional buttons or links is very small. In
most cases, the value of the storyboard is that it's cheap, fast, easy to
generate, and can express the interaction in ways that single pictures or
bitmaps can not.

I have an interest in the crossovers between film and interaction design -
one book I'd recoomend if this interests you is "film directing shot" by
shot by Stephen katz. It has a 50 page section of storyboarding for films,
and the remainder of the book is a discussion of the different uses of
camera angles, positions, and types to generate certain kinds of effects. I
find that reading about film making almost always elevates my thinking about
interaction design - but YMMV.

-Scott

==================

I use storyboarding but I don't think of it as a 'serious' technique. I have
not studied it to use it as an 'official' tool. What I do is, try to
describe the user processes in the site I am creating like in a movie; this
is where the storyboards come in. If designing a shopping cart for example,
I'd draw the several form screens and then describe through the storyboard
the users possible actions within that context. It's important to mention
that the storyboard is not necessarily linear, because we work with
hypertext so that give us more mobility.

There are many uses for storyboard, I am sure you will getting interesting
replies. Looking forwards to reading the summary!

Livia Labate

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html