Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  August 2000, Week 3

CHI-WEB August 2000, Week 3

Re: [HCI job] Title(s) - Architects

"Nick RAGOUZIS (Interfacility)" <[log in to unmask]>

Nick RAGOUZIS (Interfacility)

Wed, 16 Aug 2000 00:55:23 -0700

Before we fall into dissipation over this name thing perhaps we can ground
some of it in the practical. At least I'll give it a shot.

The presumption in all of this is that there's someone out there, using the
result, the service. For the most part we're talking about the website part
of the service. This use by someone grants the service tangibility, leading
to something (we needn't say what for this discussion) that's measurable --
to be confirmed, or disconfirmed empirically.

This line leads immediately to one conclusion, vis-a-vis "architecture."
When we empirically confirm a service we can directly conclude that someone
has taken the trouble to make sure that the front-end and the back-end work
together, that the front-end is fit to purpose, and that the rest of the
system corresponds. Someone, or something -- we cannot rule out the role of
automated agent technology since it is already doing parts of this for us.

We are directed towards our conclusion by the practical, and not
romanticized, reality of modern-day architecture practice: The folks who do
this for society's most significant building projects are called
"Construction Engineers." It is they, and not the architects, who hold sway
over significant possibilities and innovations, and manifestations.

Architects of significant projects have long turned over these details (and
these details are the major components of what is popularly thought of as
Architecture, especially in the line of decent from Bauhaus in which total
control is romanticized) to construction engineering firms. Delegation is a
euphemism here. This is a result of following to the letter AIA rules and
professional guidelines. Of limiting liability. So far distanced are the
modern architects from the idealized role (such as Christopher Alexander
among others argue, where it's important for an architect to be able to
adjust things -- to move a window -- as the project continues into and
through construction) that modern-day architects are *strictly* limited to
the number of times they can even visit the job site. (But not the CE, nor
HVAC designers.)

Often, it is facetiously said, landscape architects have more impact on the
people, places, and spaces triad than do Architects. Especially in cases
where the Architects (exerting influence over one of the few things they can
meaningfully attempt to drive through codes and councils) have conceived and
realized horrifically impersonal or disorienting facia and other major
features.

Modern tools will return to the architect some of the most important
contributions they wish to make. For example, viewpoint systems can allow
the architect to place portals, set-backs, doors, passageways, windows,
skylights, ceilings, vaults, interior spaces and etc. in harmony with
current and future contexts beyond the building itself -- something much
diminished by the trends in architectural practice.

The conclusion is, of course, that architecture is not a good operator over
information structures (and their much in-the-vogue hierarchies). If we must
look to bricks-and-mortar, construction engineering is a much closer
archetype. It even succeeds in the empirical confirmation test, where on the
other hand architecture fails.

This conclusion is further buttressed by noticing in the above that what
architects ultimately wanted to do, and will be happiest to fully regain, is
designing [the opportunity for] experiences.

This affords a digression to attempt to set right a widely-held myth: That
the design of paths is best done by observing walkers. Where "observing"
includes concretizing (perhaps literally!) the walker's "automatonic" path
evolution. This is nonsense, as practicing environmental designers, and
architects, will attest.

(It's the parallel to the fallacy that control-panel design, for optimizing
task performance, is appropriate where designing [the opportunity for]
experience is called for.)

An architect may learn from such an observation, but, more likely will not
be advantaged by waiting for it. The architect will purposefully design such
pathways to improve the [opportunity for] experience of the people in that
place interacting with each other and the space itself. Creating and
reinforcing an awareness ... or sublimating it, as the situation seems to
require. Longer paths, curved paths, intersections marked by fountains,
slight knolls (e.g., to reduce velocities), under- and over-passes, seating,
overlooks, directed view points, visual patters, plantings, lighting. Plus,
along with these features, appropriate maintenance and safety
considerations. (And will, accordingly, struggle to preserve this through
the entire process discussed above. Including CEs attempting to straighten,
flatten, and simplify the design. Recognize anything here?)

Even if it is clear that architecture is more appropriate as an operator
over experience than over information, I'm not convinced that such an
application (as in "experience architect") is appropriate.

I believe that "interaction designer" is a much more important term.

Don't overlook that the interaction designer is not operating, cannot
operate, separate from the overall design system. That is in fact one of the
interaction designer's key jobs -- designing and leading the overall design
system.

This leads to a recognition of how a fundamental difference in the medium
(the web) has led to a fundamental difference in the design and development
environment. Which is what we'd expect, yes?

We have long had something called "system architects". Most often system
architects described the ins-and-outs of the systems, but not the interface
appurtenances. In a large way, educating these architects in the importance
of the interface has been HCI's mission. Or, if not the architects then the
implementers of the system architect's vision.

System architects still exist. But the nature of the web has provided a
sufficient basis to up-end the structure of these legacy design systems.

The closed face of computing is now open. It is the interaction designers
that build and lead a top-notch interaction design system who will lead the
design of these systems. HCI has, perversely perhaps, gotten its wish. Now
HCI, users [oops, a discussion left to another time], and business will do
well to lay suit on interaction designers.

And interaction designers will do well to employ system architects within
that system. These system architects may, just as database architects did,
call themselves "information architects." But to avoid the limiting
connotations arising from that moniker they would improve general
recognition of their role within interaction design if they adopted the
long-standing and well-regarded name of "system architect."

Which will apply even in the all-to-near future when "information" and
"navigation" are more automatically and dynamically organized, presented,
and evolved. Even in that future, when "information architect" is an
anachronism, system architects will be advising interaction designers on the
overall architecture of the system, the information which the system will
transform to value, and the tools available for doing it.

Best,
--Nick
Nick Ragouzis         [log in to unmask]         1-415-922-3463

- Interfacility  - - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.interfacility.com/
Helping organizations accelerate interactive design projects.

- iBuilders Project Managers Forum  - http://projectmanagersforum.net/
Home of the Collexicon of Project Manager's Frustrations.

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html